San Francisco, CA or Remote, US /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
As an early iOS engineer at Otter, you will have the chance to shape our product, engineering culture, and overall growth trajectory, building the foundation we need to scale. You will learn from our customers and the experiences of similar marketplaces, and you will take practical and experimental approaches to extending Otter’s capabilities. Otter has grown through the use of simple and practical tools and an analytical approach to investing time and attention. We are seeking engineers who will use this framework to help us make great decisions about when and where to allocate our resources. We are building as a team that is humble, collaborative, and wants to find the right answer no matter where it comes from; you’ll thrive if you are flexible, agile, and responsive to feedback.
As an engineer at Otter, you will:
- Design and develop our mobile application for the iOS platform.
- Design and ship scrappy experiments that work so we can learn from our customers.
- Spend time engaging with and learning from customers about their experiences with Otter, then use customer learnings to drive your resource allocation recommendations.
- Shape our engineering culture by seeding it internally and helping us hire future team members.
What we’re looking for:
- You have extensive experience with Swift or Objective-C.
- You have built and scaled native iOS apps from the ground up.
- You’re familiar with the iOS SDK and comfortable implementing a variety of iOS frameworks.
- You have experience with web services and native iOS push notifications.
- You understand Apple’s design principles and interface guidelines.
How you approach your work:
- You’re excited to shape an engineering culture that’s welcoming and respectful to members of your team and members of teams across the company alike.
- You're willing to try several options to see which one merits further work, tossing the rest.
- You are driven to the choice that drives the best customer experience, even if it’s harder or not the path you’re most excited about.
- You evaluate others based on their work, not their credentials.
- You are excited about a role where you love your work enough to do a lot of it because there is a lot of high-impact work to do.
- You like collaborating with talented coworkers and are energized by them.
Who you are:
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from one another so we can learn faster together.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
What you can expect from us in this process:
- Clear, written communication so you know what to expect from us as you move through the hiring process.
- Questions about how you approach your work, from your favorite language to your worst framework decision.
- Our interviews will adapt to your needs because we want to give you the best possible chance we can to show us your best work.
- A willingness to learn from you about how you think you can be helpful to us so we can figure out how we can best work together.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.