Los Angeles, CA /
Otter is on a mission to create a world of care and opportunity by connecting parents who need childcare with stay-at-home parents who can care for their kids. Our goal is for every child to have access to safe, high-quality childcare and for every stay-at-home parent to be economically empowered in a way never before possible. Over the next ten years, Otter will facilitate millions of hours of childcare and unlock billions of new economic opportunities for stay-at-home parents.
Otter is growing quickly!
Otter’s growth has surpassed our most optimistic expectations: Otter is live in two cities, growing quickly, and we have more demand than we can keep up with. We’re building a category-defining, technology driven solution that works for today’s families in the $75B childcare category. Otter has attracted more than $27M from leading venture investors and angels, including Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Abstract Ventures, Thrive Capital, and a diverse set of world-class operators including Kevin & Julia Hartz, Michael Ovitz, Dylan Field, Scott Belsky, Maran Nelson, Hunter Horsley, Backend Capital, Varsha Rao, Jana Messerschmidt, Claire Hughes Johnson, Jessica Verrilli, Sarah Nahm, Stephen Chau, Marc Hedlund, and Shreya and Anand Iyer.
As an early General Manager reporting to our COO, you will have the opportunity to test, iterate, and build the playbook for how we find Otter families and support their ongoing relationship with Otter while building a durable business. You will have primary responsibility for one or more markets and will closely partner with our CEO and with our leadership team. You will help build the team and refine the operations engine that will make Otter work for our families in Los Angeles and ensure they have a best-in-class experience using the platform.
What you'll do
- Take ownership of Otter’s operations in one or more of its markets, each of which are a $1+ billion market opportunity.
- Build, iterate, and execute on a playbook for how to most effectively and efficiently acquire and retain care-seekers and care-providers in a way that drives performance against key metrics.
- Be in the weeds for the markets you are responsible for, and know how they are performing inside-out and backwards.
- Collaborate with leadership across the organization to provide direct feedback on what tools are or aren’t working and what features and tools Otter families need.
- Build and mentor an operations team by creating an inclusive and psychologically safe environment.
What you're great at
- Turning plans and strategies into reality through top-notch execution, even in the face of roadblocks and ambiguity.
- Exercising exceptional judgment to ensure that our execution plans are always true to our values and to our commitments to families.
- Understanding unit economics and using insights from data to drive operational improvements and build a sustainable business.
- Moving quickly to learn what works and what doesn’t, iterating, and then building tools and processes to scale.
- Collaborating with data science, product, engineering, operations, support, and other teams to provide quick feedback and iterative learning.
- Empathizing with and supporting users and team members in stressful and challenging circumstances.
Who you are
- You believe care work is real work.
- You have superior communication skills, including the ability to prioritize and efficiently and transparently communicate results at a team, executive, and company level.
- You’re willing to talk about your work in writing so you can contribute to a company culture where we learn from one another, so we can learn faster together.
- You have attention to detail and thrive in a fast-moving environment.
- People who know you would call you a team player with a desire to jump in and be “hands on” as needed.
- You embrace Otter's values and operating principles.
Please apply even if you don't meet 100% of the criteria above. Nobody checks every box every time and we'd love to talk to you about how and why you can see yourself growing into this role. We're also very open to candidates with non-traditional experience, especially those who have taken time out of the traditional workforce to care for their children or other loved ones.
Otter embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.