VP of Finance (Remote)
Canada, Remote /
Finance – Finance /
Wonolo (Work Now Locally) is disrupting the $140BN temporary staffing industry. Founded in 2014, Wonolo's mission is to help people find consistent work. Through our two-sided tech marketplace, we connect hundreds of businesses in need of front-line workers with 1 million underemployed workers in local markets across the United States, within minutes. Wonolo recently raised $140M in growth funding which will continue to help us empower the in-demand workforce by democratizing access to flexible work, opportunities to learn new skills, a living wage, and comprehensive portable benefits and perks.
We are looking for a VP of Finance to help scale Wonolo from the growth stage to IPO and beyond. Reporting to the CEO, the VP of Finance will oversee all areas of Strategic Finance, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Accounting, and take ownership of all company fiscal matters. As the VP of Finance, you will solidify the continued evolution of company-wide OKRs and KPIs, support investor relations and fundraising efforts, and lead all accounting and audit processes. As a key member of our leadership team, you will inform company strategy and support executive decisions from a financial perspective, and ensure we use our resources efficiently and effectively. You take initiative, enjoy working with others to identify opportunities and risks, and can drive business results in the face of ambiguity.
We welcome qualified candidates located anywhere in the Canada #LI-Remote.
What you'll do:
- Work collaboratively with the executive team to develop the strategic plan
- Lead and make strategic decisions about fiscal policy, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, contract negotiations, and auditing
- Further develop and own the company’s overall financial forecasting model
- Advance the insight and understanding of the business unit economics and KPIs to drive further alignment and accountability across the company
- Understand, create, track, and report on metrics for the levers that drive positive unit economics for Wonolo’s products as well as our company’s long-term financial health
- Lead financial planning and forecasting as well as company- and department-level budget development, implementation, and reporting
- Collaborate across teams to assess the economic return on strategic initiatives and provide actionable insights to help drive optimal business decisions and maintain accurate and realistic revenue and cost forecasts
- Develop and manage the financial and business controls necessary to ensure the company effectively evaluates risk, protects its assets, and effectively uses its financial resources
- Support investor relations, including board decks and investor updates, as well as help shape our internal and external financial narrative and strategy
- Provide analytical and due diligence support for fundraising activities
- Build strong relationships with the board, the investors, and the banks
Who you are:
- High IQ, but even higher EQ
- Effective leadership skills and self-awareness to have the right influence on the leadership team and the rest of the company
- Ability to build trust and collaborate effectively with the leadership team to make strategic decisions swiftly
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict-resolution skills
- Highly strategic, but also tactical with a high sense of urgency and execution speed
- Ability to lead the budgeting process that strikes the right balance between discipline, simplicity, flexibility, and growth
- Ability to break down complex issues and communicate in simple messaging to the board, investors, and the team
- Strategic thinker with the ability to analyze financial data and provide insights into the organization's financial health
- High-level of integrity, sense of creativity, and good business judgment
- Proven track record of navigating ambiguity and ability to make decisions that maintain momentum while mitigating risk
- Entrepreneurial spirit and passion for startups
- Experience scaling a team from the growth stage to 500+ employees
- You demonstrate a commitment to advancing representation and inclusion in and out of the workplace
If you have read up to this point, we hope you are excited about this opportunity to work at Wonolo! Even if your experience does not check every bullet point, we still highly encourage you to apply. The best hires do not always check off every box of a job description.
Nice to haves:
- Background in growth-stage marketplaces and/or B2B businesses
- IPO and/or M&A experience
Benefits and Perks:
- The opportunity for growth in a mission-driven and well-funded start-up
- Meaningful equity and company bonus
- We pay 100% of the medical/dental/vision insurance premiums for you
- Generous parental leave plan
- Cell phone reimbursement and company laptop
- Access to continued learning, unlimited access to Udemy for Business sponsored by Wonolo
- Retirement plans as well as life and disability insurance
- Access to no-cost on-demand mental health support, including counselling, mindfulness and meditation, and wellbeing courses
- We encourage a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible schedules, an open vacation policy, and the ability to work from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada (no more commutes!)
- Team outings, happy hours, company off-sites, and more!
Wonolo is a two-sided job marketplace that serves over 1 million front-line workers, providing them access to flexible and consistent job opportunities across the United States within minutes, at companies such as Peloton, Coca-Cola, Neiman Marcus, Papa John's, and thousands more.
We are a remote-first company with 200+ full-time employees, and quickly scaling our team within the United States, Canada, and Latin America. We are well-funded and backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Bain Capital, and Leeds Illuminate, among others.
Learn more about us:
Wonolo is a Great Place to Work-Certified company for delivering a consistently high-trust experience for all employees. We value representation and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees.
Inc. Magazine's Best Workplaces 2022 (Medium to Large)
#24 in Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2021 (Small and Medium)
#12 in Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021 (Small and Medium)
Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Belonging
Wonolo welcomes you as you and celebrates our collective diversity. We work to serve the underserved, and we are built on the strength of our entire community. We are especially interested in candidates who represent different cultures, perspectives, and backgrounds as these empower our team to come together to make the best decisions and the biggest impact.
Wonolo is an equal-opportunity employer. We work to ensure all people feel supported, empowered, and connected at work. A big part of this effort is through our support for members and allies of Employee Resource Groups such as Whammies of Color and Allies at Wonolo (WoCAW), Women of Wonolo (WoW), Parents of Wonolo (PoW), and People Out at Wonolo and Allies (POWA). Individuals seeking to work at or with Wonolo are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Wonolo Privacy Statement
By providing your personal information and/or submitting your application, you agree that Wonolo may use your personal information for the purposes of carrying out its recruitment and hiring process, which may include, but is not limited to, reviewing your qualifications, verifying your information, communicating with you about the recruitment process, and retaining your personal data as otherwise needed for recruitment-related activities.
Information you provide Wonolo as part of the recruitment process is accessible only to those Wonolo employees and other third-party service providers involved with Wonolo's recruitment, interview, and onboarding process. Wonolo does not disclose your personal information to any third party in a manner that would be considered a sale under applicable laws. By providing your personal information as an applicant for this position or any other position at Wonolo, you agree that your personal data may be transferred and/or disclosed to Wonolo's third-party providers. This may include transfers to servers and databases outside the country where you provided Wonolo with your personal data.
Wonolo does not accept agency or consulting resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our job postings, email alias, Wonolo employees or any other organization location. Wonolo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.