Corporate Counsel, Commercial
Wonolo is growing fast and is looking to hire its second attorney.
Our ideal candidate is a good person who is also committed to doing good work. Do you know your way around commercial contracts and compliance challenges? Are you excited by the opportunity to shape the legal function at a start-up and meaningfully impact strategy? Are you exhilarated by the opportunity to confront and address a broad scope of legal issues including corporate, privacy, data security, and IP? Are you looking for a high growth opportunity at a mission-driven company? Are you excited about helping connect millions of people with more flexible opportunities? If this is who you are or you can and desperately want to be, please read on.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with the Head of Legal, executive leadership, and cross-functional teams to shape and improve Wonolo’s legal processes to enable both legal and business functions to scale effectively.
- Review, draft, and help negotiate a variety of commercial agreements including NDAs, MSAs, SOWs, leases, and other software and vendor agreements.
- Collaborate with internal and external legal resources to guide Wonolo through complex regulatory issues.
- Respond to internal legal requests from our sales, business operations, finance, product, and engineering departments in a clear and concise manner.
- Help develop and apply effective risk-management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues across all business functions.
- Anticipate, investigate, and evaluate different legal challenges that do or could impact Wonolo.
Some Things We Consider Critical For This Role:
- Active membership in at least one U.S. state bar; California Bar admission preferred.
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school.
- At least 3 years of legal practice, with some experience at a law firm.
- At least 1.5 years of experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to commercial. contracts or contingent workforce issues.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage a diverse and complex workload while maintaining priorities and actively anticipating issues.
- Active listener with strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to translate nuanced concepts into concise and practical guidance.
- Excellent business insight and personal integrity.
- Self-motivation and a willingness to take ownership of projects.
- A great sense of humor (and an even better sense of judgment).
- Humility and a desire to roll up your sleeves.
Some things that would be amazing to have for this role:
- At least 3 years of experience advising clients/teams on legal issues related to commercial contracts and contingent workforce issues.
- General corporate and M&A experience at a law firm.
- Experience developing compliance programs and advising accordingly.
- Strong substantive knowledge of US privacy laws as well as a working knowledge of international privacy and data protection laws.
- Experience working with venture-backed high-growth private companies.
Benefits & Perks:
- The opportunity for growth in a mission-driven and well-funded startup, as well as the opportunity to assume a leadership position early in the life of a fast-growing company in a giant market
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) plan and meaningful equity
- Commuter benefits and catered lunch
- Open vacation policy, flexible schedule, and WFH Fridays
- Team outings and happy hours
- Company off-sites and much more!
Stay True; Stay You.
Whether you’re a woman, a veteran, a person of color, a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a dog person, a cat person, none of the above, or all of the above, our team welcomes you as you are and celebrates our collective diversity. We work to serve the underserved, and we are built on the strength of our collective community. Diversity empowers our teams to come together and make the best decisions. Stated more formally but no less meaningfully: individuals seeking employment at Wonolo are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Wonolo does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Wonolo does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Wonolo is striving to change the way companies find talent for their immediate work needs. Everyday, we are creating flexible opportunities for people to make extra income, learn new skills, and change their lives. At the same time, we are saving companies money by connecting them with talented people and redesigning the recruitment process for many industries.
We are backed by leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, DAG Ventures, PivotNorth, Base 10, and AMN Healthcare, among others.
Learn more about us:
Wonolo is a Great Place to Work Certified company for delivering a consistently high-trust experience for all employees. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.