EHS Project Manager (Remote, East Coast)
Portland, ME / Andover, MA / Atlanta, GA / Bangor, ME / Boston, MA / Canton, MA / Lakeland, FL / Virtual
Environment – Environment /
Woodard & Curran is a national engineering, science, and operations firm with a simple vision for clean water, a safe environment, healthy communities, and happy people. As an employee-owned company, we strive to cultivate diverse teams and encourage collaboration in an equitable and inclusive culture. We seek talented individuals from all backgrounds to help us address a broad range of water and environmental issues. We prioritize our people, offering opportunities for professional growth, ownership, and flexibility. That’s how we make a difference to our clients, people, and the planet.
At Woodard & Curran, we love nothing more than a tough engineering challenge. We handle many water and environmental issues—solving complex problems creatively and excellently. That’s how we make a difference to our clients, people, and planet. Our company was founded on a simple concept: provide a safe and enjoyable workplace with opportunity, integrity, and commitment, and we will attract talented people. Those people are at the heart of our firm, solving some of the most pressing water and environmental challenges for our clients.
Who are we looking for?
Woodard & Curran has an opportunity for a senior engineer or scientist who can support and manage environmental, health, and safety (EHS) and regulatory compliance projects and provide innovative and superior services to our industrial, commercial, municipal, and institutional clients. The selected candidate will report directly to Practice Leaders and Client Managers in our national EHS Practice and work with a diverse, talented group of engineers and scientists. The ideal candidate is a mid-level engineer or scientist with solid technical experience delivering innovative, technically superior EHS consulting services for projects in the Northeast and nationally. The successful candidate will be an energetic, motivated, growth-oriented professional who can work independently and lead or participate in multi-disciplined project teams.
What’s in it for you?
- The chance to drive and help grow our local EHS practice in the Northeast.
- The opportunity to join an environmental engineering and science firm growing both locally and nationally.
- Collaboration with some of the industry’s leading technical expertise and innovation for a well-established, privately held, national environmental consulting and engineering firm.
- Increased leadership opportunities through higher visibility in the marketplace, client interactions, and account development.
- Flexible work environment and competitive benefits.
- Strong bonus potential.
What will you be doing at Woodard & Curran?
- The individual in this position will lead and complete technical tasks for environmental and regulatory compliance projects. Knowledge of OSHA General Industry standards is a plus. Typical projects include compliance assessments, program development, regulatory analysis and reporting, permitting, training, and database solutions for EHS compliance requirements at the local, state, and federal levels. The position will also include performing technical tasks at client facilities, conducting analyses and calculations, and preparing various types of reports and documents, including regulatory compliance programs, audit reports, permit applications, and EHS management-system-related documentation. Report writing and interaction with project staff, clients, and regulatory agencies will also play an essential role in the candidate’s success.
Primary responsibilities involve technical project execution in the following regulatory program areas:
- Hazardous waste management
- Strong proficiency in air emissions permitting, control, and modeling is a plus
- Negotiating permit conditions
- OSHA program development
- EHS compliance auditing; RMP/PSM auditing experience is a plus
- TSCA proficiency is a plus
- Management system development and assessment
- Training in transportation of hazardous materials and dangerous goods management
- SPCC/SWPPP/ICP development
- Wastewater/stormwater permitting, monitoring, and reporting
- Routine reporting, including EPCRA, emission inventories, and annual/semi-annual reports, including Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reports
- Providing EHS training (hazardous waste, DOT, SPCC, stormwater, etc.)
- Preparation of proposals, attending professional networking events, identifying project opportunities, making technical presentations for market visibility, and maintaining active networking with existing and new clients
- Candidate should be a self-starter and possess strong field and writing skills to support a wide range of science and engineering projects. Candidates must also have excellent oral communication skills, leadership ability, a positive attitude, and ability to work independently and within teams.
What will you need to succeed?
- A desire and drive to deliver innovative and effective services and to grow professionally and personally in an employee-focused, supportive work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or environmental science from an accredited program. A professional engineering license, or interest in obtaining one, is a plus.
- A strong appreciation of and commitment to safe work practices is mandatory.
- 5-10 years of professional experience with an environmental/engineering consulting firm, state environmental agency, or industrial/institutional facility.
- Attention to detail.
- Demonstrated performance of analysis, problem-solving, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and on large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Outstanding technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to mentor and develop a project team and successfully manage project timelines and budgets.
- Experience interpreting state and federal rules/regulations and preparing related compliance reports, permits, plans, etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. A basic proficiency demonstration may be required, and a desire to go beyond the basics of these programs to create automated programs and processes is a plus.
$87,000 - $150,000 a year
This position’s anticipated pay range is provided below; final exempt salary or non-exempt hourly pay will be dependent on experience level as well as considering a % based geographic differential based on where the final candidate will be working. Geographic differentials are used to recognize and reflect cost of labor differences between geographic markets.
Benefits & Wellbeing
• 401(k) Pre-tax or Roth Contributions: Company will match equal to 100% of the first 3% of salary contributed, All employees are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan and are 100% vested in the value of own contributions and any employer matching contributions.
Time away from work:
• Vacation time is provided to full and part-time regular employees. Vacation is accrued, based on number of hours worked per week as well as prior years of experience.
• Woodard & Curran offers paid sick time to eligible employees who are absent due to their own non-work related, illness, injury, or medical procedure.
• Woodard & Curran provides up to 80 hours of Paid Parental Leave for child bonding in a 12-month period.
• Company-paid short- and long-term disability insurance from Sun Life to assist with replacing a portion of your income in the event of non-job-related illness or injury. Eligible employees are automatically enrolled and eligible immediately.
Coverage and support for your needs and wellbeing:
Personal and Family health: Company offers three medical plan options based on geography; plus HSA and PSA plans are available based on eligibility, additional options include dental and vision plans.
Company provides basic employee group life insurance and AD&D benefits; additional voluntary life insurance for employee and family are available through Sun Life.
WayForward powered by Dario: EAP Program combined with personalized mental health and wellbeing coaching.
LiveWell wellbeing program: credit incentive is available, up to $600 annually – nutrition and fitness reimbursement, and access to the Virgin Pulse wellness platform.
Education: Tuition assistance offers eligible employees up to 100% reimbursement of tuition, books and fees up to $5250 per year, for courses related to the employee’s job or planned career development.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
Woodard & Curran is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We value diversity, equity and inclusion and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Woodard & Curran believes that complex teams working together in an equitable, inclusive space provides the best opportunity for achieving our vision of clean water, a safe environment, healthy communities, and happy people. Our success is tied to a culture that embraces our differences so that everyone can bring their whole, authentic selves to work. When our people are supported to reach their full potential, we provide the most innovative, sound, and effective solutions.