Senior Software Engineer (Remote)
New York, New York /
Let’s Work Bravely
Bravely is on a mission to make life at work better for everyone. We are democratizing access to professional coaching. Companies worldwide look to us to provide their employees across all levels access to on-demand confidential coaching for the moments that matter most at work. Through Bravely, employees have a trusted and skilled coach to support their well-being, career development, and performance and ultimately help them thrive in their workplaces.
We work with companies like Zillow, Pinterest, and Autodesk, who are deeply committed to equity and inclusion by ensuring that all of their employees have access to our highly-vetted, diverse, and brilliant professional coaches. When organizations offer Bravely, they scale the support provided by their People teams, managers and transform their workplaces. Our data-driven insights and passionate team are driving change for employees and in workplaces around the world.
About the role
We are a remote, distributed team with a strong focus on working asynchronously and taking ownership. In your first week at Bravely, you can expect to build relationships with the team, learn how to ship a small feature or bugfix end-to-end, and begin to understand the application architecture. In your first 30 days, you can expect to have shipped several features, participated in code review, and contributed to architecture and design discussions. In your first 90 days, you will feel more comfortable owning a bigger feature from design to completion.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and other stakeholders to architect and implement new features.
- Responsible for architecture, development, testing and scaling of the platform that powers Bravely.
- Help define workflows and processes to ensure consistent code management, deployment, and performance.
- Build out core new platform functionality to support our growing client base.
- Maintain and take ownership of our mobile, api, and web platforms handling each aspect of our multi-sided platform.
Need to have
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience developing consumer-facing web applications, services, and/or APIs
- You have built and maintained Ruby on Rails applications or worked with similar MVC frameworks in a production environment
- You have a clear understanding of relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server, SQLite, etc.)
- You are proficient in Git for version control
- You understand testing, profiling, and debugging practices
- You might have a preference for front-end or back-end development, but you’re capable of working across the entire stack when necessary
Nice to have
- You have experience with or interest in Amazon Web Services, including Elastic Beanstalk and RDS, or infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform
- You have developed distributed data processing systems or ETLs against large data sets
- You have experience building and maintaining mobile applications
Bravely is committed to building a diverse, equity-minded, and inclusive culture where all of our team members feel a deep sense of belonging. We recognize that underrepresented groups such as women and BIPOC may be less likely to apply to a role if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We encourage you to apply if you meet some of the qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career aspirations and interests.
- Competitive salary + compensation package with equity
- Competitive insurance plans with full coverage for medical, dental, and vision that greatly eliminate your out of pocket expenses
- Unlimited vacation time to enjoy all aspects of your life
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks for the primary caregiver and six weeks for secondary
- Unlimited and 100% confidential access to world-class Bravely coaches to support you in your professional journey
- Virtual team-building time to stay connected with your team members around the world
- Cultural celebrations to uplift the unique experiences and identities within our community
- Home Office Allowance
- Working with an amazing, diverse, energetic, and supportive group of people
Our headquarters are based in New York, NY, but we support flexible work policies for greater work-life balance — many of our employees are 100% remote.
Working at Bravely
As a team, we practice what we preach: we live our values, communicate openly and honestly, and actively work to
cultivate an inclusive and supportive people-first environment where everyone can grow, thrive, and make meaning from their work. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity fervently, with a strong commitment to building a team representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Bravely is an equal employment opportunity employer. Bravely considers all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other protected class. We are committed to a community of inclusion and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
As an equal employment opportunity employer will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you require accommodation, please contact email@example.com.