Senior Data Scientist
San Francisco, CA /
Data Science /
WorkWhile is on a mission to help workers earn a better living and live better lives. 83 million Americans work hourly jobs, often with unpredictable schedules that pay close to minimum wage and offer limited benefits, leading to financial instability.
WorkWhile hires the best hourly workers and matches them with shifts that fit their skills, location, and life. Employers get access to a quality workforce, while employees get stable income and unmatched benefits, including access to credit and savings tools.
We have the audacious goal to align incentives and solve inefficiencies in the labor market, which is a massive addressable market opportunity. Our founding team is comprised of product and engineering leaders from Yahoo, Facebook, and AirBnB and we are backed by top tier investors.
About the Role
WorkWhile is looking for an experienced data scientist to help us develop the models and algorithms core to our product. As a founding member of the team, you will help shape all aspects of our data culture and have a hand in key company decisions. You will be responsible for core product initiatives such as screening potential candidates and matching workers to appropriate shifts using a combination of proprietary, partner, and public data. You will partner closely with our engineering and product teams to implement and refine your work, which will be seen by every user of the WorkWhile product.
WorkWhile has a diverse, mission-driven, and supportive culture—we look for people who want to take ownership, are energized by ambiguity, and strive to make a lasting impact. If this resonates with you, we’d love to chat!
- Build and maintain the candidate screening model working with cognitive science partners and proprietary data
- Design matching algorithms to pair workers with appropriate shifts considering factors such as skills, location, transportation, weather, and more
- Work closely with the talent team to predict WorkWhile’s future hourly hiring needs
- Work cross-functionally to develop WorkWhile’s data practice and standards
- Design, build, and run experiments
- Audit algorithms and models for bias and recommend solutions
- Apply statistical and machine learning techniques to identify trends in data
- 3+ years experience in statistics, data science or machine learning preferred
- Self-starter able to drive projects to completion who is excited to be on a startup’s founding team
- Practical knowledge of Python
- Extensive knowledge of programming best practices
- Solid foundation in machine learning models, processes, and theories, with the ability to evaluate different algorithmic approaches
- Working knowledge of statistics and probability (statistical inference, Bayesian statistics)
- Comfort with SQL
- Interest in issues of transparency and fairness in AI
- Able to communicate with data and work across teams
- Knowledge of cognitive science / neuroscience research a plus
- Committed to improving the lives of low-wage workers
WorkWhile is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.