New York, NY
If you want to do work that is meaningful and makes a difference, we have good news! Despite what the majority of the agency world might think, it IS possible to grow a successful creative agency that is also mission-driven. In our case, Worn is driven to help female lead companies succeed and we’re looking for a Verbal Identity Lead to work on creative projects with us.
Take, Women.nyc for example. The Mayor’s Office of NYC hired Worn to brand NYC as the best place in the world for women. We concepted and executed every detail of the campaign from its name and brand to creating the right voice to speak to women ages 18-60 across NYC. On a campaign that included no imagery, the voice was everything. As Verbal Identity Lead, you would lead the creative team that writes copy speaking to women across NYC. Our banners are still up today across the city. (Spot them around City Hall now.)
These projects are nuanced and require at least 2 years of professional writing experience in an in house brand or agency setting to be done to the standard we’re looking for. We’re a small team working on several projects at once with female-led companies, so it's crucial that we bring on someone with direct experience and who has a wide range of writing abilities.
This is more challenging and more rewarding than the Verbal Identity or Copywriter roles you typically see because: You will have the opportunity to shape how the Voice team grows, to build your own team, to inform our processes and carve out a leadership role for yourself in this area of expertise. You will also have direct influence in shaping the direction that Worn grows as one of the first 20 employees, to learn how to build a business with a transparent and entrepreneurial leadership team, and to make a difference in the world by supporting women-led companies and watching them grow and succeed.
Desired skills and experience:
- Direct experience at an agency or in writing-focused role (2+ years) is very important. You will also need an eye for design and a passion for advertising.
- If you’ve been in a Verbal Identity role on projects similar to what we described above, you have what it takes to succeed in this role.
This is what your first year will look like:
- You’ll be lead by a team of strong women who follow a philosophy of Compassionate Leadership
- You’ll bond with a tight knit team of 12 that have each other’s backs on everything and push each other to grow
- You’ll lead brand voice on multiple creative projects, with varying deadlines, which could be everything from writing campaign copy, to creating a brand voice from scratch, or writing copy for packaging or web.
- Work closely with a senior strategist to build brands and companies from the ground up. Your work will be informed by research to ensure your writing resonates with the intended audience.
- You’ll work closely with the design team to seamlessly incorporate your writing into the design process and bring branding, campaign, web design, and packaging projects to life.
- Confidently present your work to clients, which are usually either company founders or CEOs
- You’ll grow your own team and help us build a tight-knit company where we put the success of women-led companies first
Why you should want to work at Worn:
You could work anywhere, but you choose to work at Worn because you want to make a difference for women everyday while challenging yourself creatively, work with a close knit team that always has each other’s backs, have the opportunity to shape the future of a fast-growing company, create your own dream job based on your unique skills, and define what the future creative agency will look like.
Our philosophy is Compassionate Leadership. We value human connection, authenticity, equality, independence, flexibility and empathy. We’re never happy with good enough. Our clients love us because we’re focused on the big picture as well as the details. We work very hard, we have each other’s back, and we make each other better as people and professionals.
We also offer the following benefits:
Health, dental, vision insurance
25 paid company holidays
Cell phone reimbursements
Pre-tax commuter benefit
Peer-to-peer bonuses given out by fellow team members
Professional development budget for conferences such as Women in the World and the United State of Women Summit
Monthly company experience budget where each person gets to choose an adventure. Ex. cooking class, driving range, Jimmy Fallon!
You will get your own pair of fluffy slippers to wear in the office
We have a hypoallergenic puppy named Jack
Start date: Immediately
Location: Our NYC office in Williamsburg
Drop us a line via this form and let us know why you’re great and why you want to work at Worn. Please share your portfolio here. We’re visual people who don’t really like resumes. Please send a video to email@example.com and answer the following questions:
What’s your superpower? (this can be a fun answer!)
What draws you to Worn vs any other agency?
Please talk about your experience in copywriting what you could bring to Worn’s team.
What motivates you most?
Tell us about 3 of your personal values and why they’re important to you
If offered the position, when can you start?
Your video doesn't have to be of quality - a simple phone recording will do!
Yours in the hustle,