Adult ESL Instructor
Chicagoland, IL /
USPGMS/ US Ministries – US Education /
World Relief is a global Christian humanitarian organization that is fighting for change that lasts, right here in the U.S. and across the globe. We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugee and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing and transformation to the most vulnerable.
Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited and the forgotten? Do you believe in our calling as Christians to welcome the least of these and love our neighbor?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you.
World Relief Chicagoland is looking for an experienced ESL instructor to teach ESL classes to adult students living in Chicago through its Chicago office. Currently these classes are taking place online which involves virtual classroom meetings and independent student work. The ESL Instructor will teach creative and interactive ESL lessons that incorporate English literacy, digital literacy, life, employment, and college-readiness skills. This position is 10 hour/week. Classes are currently held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. If you are an energetic individual that has strong interpersonal skills, a passion to teach English to adult immigrants, and the ability to help students successfully navigate technology and online learning platforms, this role may be a good fit for you.
Role & Responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create and teach ESL lessons through virtual classroom meetings that incorporate English literacy, digital literacy, life, employment, and college-readiness skills
- Assign and provide feedback on homework assignments
- Create and record video tutorials to supplement instruction as needed
- Utilize World Relief’s online ESL teaching software and curriculum
- Assist students in exploring and setting educational and career goals
- Adapt lesson plans and materials for a multilevel classroom
- Assist students in the use of technology and online learning platforms before and after enrollment as needed
- Guide and assist classroom volunteers
- Meet with students as needed during online office hours and quarterly meetings
- Conduct formal and informal student assessments according to department guidelines
- Document and communicate student attendance, levels of participation, and classroom trends to program staff
- Follow up with students who are absent from class
- Meet with students as needed during office hours
- Ensure classroom policies are followed
- Complete all required professional development trainings in a timely manner
- Maintain proper care of class materials and technology equipment
- Maintain clear and timely communication with staff
- Attend all required staff meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to create a safe, engaging, and fun classroom community
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Creative and impassioned
- Self-starter with strong initiative and follow-through
- Flexible and collaborative team player
- Possesses the skills needed to help students navigate technology and develop their digital literacy skills
- Mature and personal Christian faith
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Able to affirm and/or acknowledge World Reliefs Core Beliefs, Statement of Faith, Christian Identity and National Evangelicals For the Health of The Nation document
- Bachelor’s in TESOL, related field or significant training in teaching
- Minimum of 1 years of ESL teaching experience
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package for Part-time positions (less than 25 hours per week):
-Offer 16 Paid Holidays (Regular Part Time)
-Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
-Additional Benefits available as required by State/Local law
World Relief - Retirement:
-Eligibility: After 1000 hours in a year
-Automatically enrolled at 4%
-401K & Roth through Fidelity
-WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
World Relief Discounts (Immediately Eligible):
-Pet Insurance through Nationwide
-Home and Auto insurance through Liberty Mutual
-Working Advantage Discount Program
World Relief is honored to be recognized with the Cigna Healthy Workforce Designation, Silver Level for meeting or exceeding the core components of our well-being program including leadership and culture, program foundations, program execution, and whole person health.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
· The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
· Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
· The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
· General office setting. World Relief also offers hybrid and remote schedules for limited positions.
· Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in virtual meetings may be required.
· Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
· Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
· Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
· All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Legal Background in the United States
World Relief is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. World Relief strictly prohibits and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination against employees on the basis of person’s race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law, which does not conflict with the protections afforded World Relief as a faith-based employer.
In addition, physical or mental limitations will not be a factor in the application of World Relief's employment policies or employee practices, except for those situations in which occupational requirement make consideration of such factors necessary.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.