Financial Planning Specialist
Seattle, WA /
USPGMS/ US Ministries – US Refugee Services /
World Relief is a global Christian humanitarian organization that is fighting for change that lasts, right here in the U.S. and across the globe. We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugee and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing and transformation to the most vulnerable.
Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited and the forgotten? Do you believe in our calling as Christians to welcome the least of these and love our neighbor?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you.
World Relief seeks a Financial Planning Specialist to support World Relief Western WA's efforts to encourage financial independence and self-sufficiency among refugees & immigrants with a focus on those who are newly arrived. This position will support refugee & immigrant families in increasing financial literacy & knowledge, along with providing some housing support. Support will be provided individually & in group settings. This position will adapt & develop curriculum to address needs of the community to effectively promote long-term self-sufficiency. This will include developing creative methods to increase understanding of responsible financial planning & practices for long-term success. The position works to develop systems to distribute financial assistance in a way that supports self-sufficiency of the participants.
Role & Responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Serve as point of contact for financial assistance related questions. Communicate with participants to identify and understand financial, social, housing, and medical histories and other relevant participant information.
- Gather all relevant information required to process financial assistance requests
- Assess the current financial situation of participants through creating and completing individualized budgets with program participants.
- Conduct screening and evaluation for program(s).
- Help oversee monthly disbursement of rental and utility assistance
- Meet with participants as needed to assess progress towards self-sufficiency and to address ongoing barriers through creating and completing individualized self-sufficiency plans with program participants
- Enroll participants in appropriate databases.
- Prepare and process programmatic paperwork.
- Assist with housing applications and support letters.
- Research new curriculum content to develop material for participants.
- Develop relationships with community partners to enhance education.
- Conduct financial literacy orientations for newly arrived refugee families.
- Connect program participants to resources to address financial gaps.
- Monitor and evaluate financial counseling and curriculum success.
- Maintain accurate records of financial assistance, budgets, workshops, attendance, & other documentation
- Collaborate with multiple teams to deliver effective financial counseling services
- Adapt financial education to address trending needs of community
- Complete necessary reporting requirements
- Maintain firm boundaries and communicate difficult conversations around money in a culturally competent way.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Desire to serve refugees in support of the overall mission of World Relief.
- Exceptional organizational / time management skills and ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Self-motivated worker with the ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative and creativity.
- Intermediate computer knowledge, including MS Office and the ability to learn new programs (previous experience with databases desired)
- Previous cross-cultural experience required.
- Dependable and consistent in attendance and performance
- Ability to work well as part of and team and with diverse groups of people
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Previous financial and administration experience preferred
- Mature and personal Christian faith
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Able to affirm and/or acknowledge World Reliefs Core Beliefs, Statement of Faith, Christian Identity and National Evangelicals For the Health of The Nation document
- Current driver’s license, and clean driving record required.
- Authorization to legally work in the US.
$26.75 - $27.50 an hour
Commensurate with experience
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package (25 hours + per week):
World Relief contributes to monthly premiums:
-Offer 16 Paid Holidays!
- Paid Sick and Vacation Time
- Paid Parental Leave (12 weeks for qualified employees)
-FSAs: Medical & Dependent Care, & Commuter Funding
-Supplemental Life Insurance (employee, spouse, and children)
-Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, and Accident insurance policies
-Some remote work days
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
-Group Term Life (employee, spouse, and children)
-Long Term & Short-term Disability
-Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
-Long Distance Travel Insurance
-Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
World Relief - Retirement:
-401K & Roth
-WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
-Eligibility: Full Time is eligible after 3 months of employment. Part time is eligible after 1000 hours in a year.
World Relief Discounts (Immediately Eligible):
-Pet Insurance through Nationwide
-Home and Auto insurance through Liberty Mutual
-Working Advantage Discount Program
World Relief is honored to be recognized with the Cigna Healthy Workforce Designation, Silver Level for meeting or exceeding the core components of our well-being program including leadership and culture, program foundations, program execution, and whole person health.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
· The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
· Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
· The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
· General office setting. World Relief also offers hybrid and remote schedules for limited positions.
· Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in virtual meetings may be required.
· Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
· Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
· Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
· All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Legal Background in the United States
World Relief is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. World Relief strictly prohibits and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination against employees on the basis of person’s race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law, which does not conflict with the protections afforded World Relief as a faith-based employer.
In addition, physical or mental limitations will not be a factor in the application of World Relief's employment policies or employee practices, except for those situations in which occupational requirement make consideration of such factors necessary.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.