Cloud System Administrator 2
KR Team /
Cloud Engineering (Full-Time) /
This opening is for an on-call Cloud Systems Administrator II to perform at a facility in Laurel, MD.
This candidate will perform systems administration work in a dynamic and operational environment supporting the cloud-based repositories. A successful candidate for this position has experience working with large Hadoop and Accumulo based clusters. Experience interfacing with hardware, software, security, and network teams would benefit the candidate as well as experience with Bash, Python, and configuration management tools such as Puppet. These repositories are used by thousands of Intelligence Community users which requires that the candidate have experience monitoring systems and resolving or escalating network and data flow alerts for cloud systems hardware, software or network problems. This opening requires the candidate to have experience as a linux system administrator for large Hadoop and Accumulo based clusters, a strong background in troubleshooting operational system issues as they arise, and strong Linux administration skills. This candidate will also be expected to be comfortable working in a high-tempo mission environment where requirements change on a daily basis due to operational and world events.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Monitor system health
Troubleshoot system problems
Maintain storage systems
Interface with external teams for hardware, network, and infrastructure support
Provide after-hours on-call/call-in support
Ensure system security requirements are satisfied
Participate in engineering discussions
Create/maintain system scripts
Administer user accounts
Maintain hardware inventory
- Shall have at least three (3) year of experience performing system administration and monitoring large distributed system consisting of: Multiple clusters; Clustering implemented across at least 3 racks of equipment;
- Minimum of 60 nodes per site.
- Shall have experience diagnosing and troubleshooting large scale cloud computing systems including familiarity with distributed systems for storage and retrieval of data e.g. Hadoop, CASSANDRA, SCALITY, SWIFT, Gluster, Lustre, GPFS, Amazon S3, or another other comparable technology for big data management or High performance computing.
- Shall have demonstrated ability to work within a pre-defined mission focused team structure, follow SOP’s, communicate effectively, accept constructive feedback, and receive technical guidance and advice from senior level technical resources.
- Shall have demonstrated a willingness to learn new technologies and leverage senior level resources to expand current technical foundation using team structure.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on complex tasks, show a willingness to educate and train more junior technical resources.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, communicate, lead and oversee complex technical tasks requiring interaction with multiple groups.
- Shall have five (5) years experience writing software scripts using scripting languages including bash, perl, or python.
- Shall have seven (7) years experience demonstrating a fundamental understanding and working knowledge of core components of the Linux operating system including the management of user and group accounts in LDAP configuration of DHCP, DNS, and TFTP.
- Shall have demonstrated experience with configuration management tools including Puppet and SALT
- Expert understanding of the end to end Linux PXE/Network provisioning process to include familiarity with Anaconda Kickstart configurations, RAID controller utilities, TFTP images, and disk detect scripts.
- Experience accessing and troubleshooting systems via remote utilities to perform hardware diagnosis and repair including VNC, serial over LAN interfaces, and IPMI, BIOS-level configuration.
- Understanding of overall corporate architecture as well as familiarity with open SSL and Java keystore manipulation.
- Expert in troubleshooting commodity hardware platforms including previous experiences with SGI/HP hardware including SGI’s J series
- TS/SCI with Agency Appropriate Polygraph
- Three (3) years experience is required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics is highly desired and will be considered equivalent to two (2) years of experience
- Hadoop/Cloud System Administrator Certification or comparable Cloud System/Service Certification is required
- Advanced knowledge of SSH tunneling and protocols including the implementation of dynamic SOCKS proxies as well as other ssh-based utilities, including rysn, pdsh, pdcp, and WinSCP.
- Basic understanding of low level network concepts including vlans, port channel bonding and layer2/layer 3 switch interactions.
- Familiarity with software load balancers for large scale webservice implementations including haproxy and nginx
- Experience with Kubernetes orchestration services and Dockerimages.
- Experience with log aggregation and search tools including ElasticSearch, logstatsh, filebeats, Grafana, and rsyslog.
Wyetech, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.