Research/Applied Scientist Intern
Kirkland, WA /
Who is Wyze?
Wyze is a tech startup based in Kirkland, WA.
We’re a team of innovators and tech geeks obsessed with making smart home products accessible to everyone. Our products are intuitive and easy to use, and we partner with our customers to add new features and continuously improve our products over time. We believe customers shouldn’t have to compromise – beautifully designed smart home products should enrich people’s lives and be something everyone can afford.
We launched our first smart home camera, Wyze Cam, in October 2017. We also sell Wyze Cam Pan, a pan & tilt camera.
What is this opportunity?
You are passionate about AI + IoT and our products and mission, and are passionate in applying your skills (e.g., machine learning, computer vision) to solve customer problems in a fast-growing startup, then this is the right opportunity for you.
IoT is a perfect area for landing AI technologies, and Wyze provides the unique opportunity for landing AI technologies into products used by millions of users which is still growing at a fast pace.
A look inside the role:
As a Research Scientist intern, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges by creating innovative algorithms. Since we are an early-stage effort in a startup environment, you will play an active role of translating business requirements into elegant and beautiful solutions and build quick prototypes or proof-of-concept in partnership with other passionate people in the team. When you join the team, we guarantee that you will learn a ton, have fun, and make a positive impact on millions of users. You will work with a team of highly motivated and skilled scientists and engineers, with the mission to build smart living for everyone, using machine learning and deep learning. As part of your job, you will deal with larger amounts of data, define the model, prototype new models with stringent performance requirements (e.g., accuracy, speed, model size, memory footprint), perform offline and online testing, and push models to production.
- Help invent, build and monitor the performance of state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning models for a variety of different tasks such as object detection, face recognition, pose estimation, event recognition, object tracking, sound detection/recognition.
- Collaborate with data engineers and software developers on building data pipelines to ingest, process and analyze data that are important to computer vision models.
- Collaborate with software developers on how to productionize the models.
- Be proactive in understanding and questioning the quality of the provided data. Provide ways to monitor the quality of the data that is needed for building computer vision models and mitigate noisy when necessary.
- Be proactive in diving deep on the strengths and weaknesses of the models, continuously evaluating them and suggesting ways to quantify the patterns of errors that the models make.
- Patent and publish findings in leading computer vision and machine learning conferences and journals.
- In pursuit of PhD in CS or related fields.
- Strong publication record in top CV/ML conferences or journals.
- Experience working with large datasets and deep learning algorithms.
- Knowledge of Deep Learning and Computer Vision algorithms (Object Detection, Face Detection/Recognition), as well as traditional Machine Learning algorithms in general, and ability to implement them in product-quality code using both existing toolkits and self-developed codes.
- Experience with one or more of the deep learning toolkits, such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, MXNet, Darknet, Caffe, etc.
- Proficiency with C/C++ or Python.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to prioritize and strategize in a variety of project areas and deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Solid experience in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
Ready to be part of #teamwyze then please send us your resume or detailed Linkedin profile. We also love covers letters that tell us all the amazing things you can do!
Lastly and incredibly important to us: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity as well as inclusion at Wyze. We are fully committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. That’s how we do things!