Applied Scientist (Conversational AI)
Kirkland, WA /
Who is Wyze?
Wyze is a tech startup based in Kirkland, WA.
Wyze is a tech startup based in Kirkland, WA. We are a team of innovators and tech geeks obsessed with making smart home products accessible to everyone.
Our products are intuitive and easy to use, and we partner with our customers to add new features and continuously improve our products over time. We believe customers shouldn’t have to compromise – beautifully designed smart home products should enrich people’s lives and be something everyone can afford.
Since launching our first smart home camera, Wyze Cam, in October 2017, Wyze has continued to bring new, innovative products to our users. You can learn more about Wyze and our various products at wyze.com.
What the Opportunity is:
IoT is a perfect area for landing AI technologies, and Wyze provides the unique opportunity for landing AI technologies into a wide range of products used by millions of users which is still growing at a fast pace.
If you are a strong applied scientist with a background in sound & audio detection, speech processing/recognition, NLP, and is passionate in applying your skills to solve customer problems in a fast-growing startup, then this is the right opportunity for you.
As an Applied Scientist (Conversational AI), you will work with the the team building models and algorithms to understand human voices with contexts from multiple devices and sensors, converting them into control commands for home automation, the commands range from simple ones such as turn on/off lights/cameras, adjust temperature, to more complicated smart rules consist of a set of compound commands. Since this is an early-stage effort in a startup environment, you will play an active role of translating business requirements into elegant and beautiful solutions and build quick prototypes or proof-of-concepts in partnership with other passionate people in the team. When you join the team, we guarantee that you will learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of users.
You will work with a team of highly skilled and motivated scientists and engineers with diversified backgrounds, with all aim at the mission to build smart living for everyone, using machine learning and deep learning and solving problems in computer vision, sound detection, speech recognition, natural language understanding. As part of your job, you will collect the requirements, define the problems, define the algorithms, conduct proof-of-concepts with stringent performance requirements (e.g., accuracy, speed, model size), perform offline and online testing, and push models to production.
- Invent, build and monitor the performance of state-of-the-art models for a variety of different tasks such as spot word detection, sound detection, speech recognition, natural language understanding, and device control.
- Collaborate with data engineers and software developers on building data pipelines to ingest, process and analyze the data that are important to building machine learning models.
- Collaborate with software developers on how productionize the machine learning models.
- Be proactive in understanding and questioning the quality of the provided data. Provide ways to monitor the quality of the data that is needed for building machine learning models and mitigate noisy when necessary.
- Be proactive in diving deep on the strengths and weaknesses of the models, continuously evaluating them and suggesting ways to quantify the patterns of errors that the models make.
- Patent and publish findings in leading computer vision and machine learning conferences and journals.
- PhD or equivalent Master’s Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS or related fields.2+ years of experience working on using deep learning and machine learning to solve business applications.
- Deep understanding of audio & sound signal understanding, speech recognition and/or natural language understanding, with ability to implement them in product-quality code using both existing toolkits and self-developed code.
- Proficiency with at least one of the popular deep learning toolkits (PyTorch, TensorFlow, MXNet, DarkNet, Caffe, etc.)Proficiency with Python or C/C++ and at writing production-read codes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong publication record in top conferences or journals, such as ICLR, ICML, NeurIPS, AAAI.
- Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art speech processing/recognition, NLP and machine learning algorithms.
- Ability to prioritize and strategize in a variety of project areas and deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Solid experience in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud is a plus.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.