Senior Software engineer (systems sw, data structures, algorithms, C++)
San Jose, CA /
At Xcalar (www.xcalar.com), we are developing the next-generation platform for building distributed cloud-scale data processing applications that can exploit the unlimited compute and memory hierarchy available to all users. The Xcalar Data Platform enables writing these applications and business logic in a powerful yet simple way. By combining the power of SQL and Python, developers can achieve their goals at an enterprise scale with robustness and performance. The Xcalar platform provides insights into the applications at run time so that they can be debugged and instrumented for optimal efficiency. If you like moving at a fast pace and enjoy pushing the envelope of technology for customers, and can get things done at enterprise robustness, performance and ease of use for such a platform, we want to talk to you!
We are hiring Senior to Principal Level Engineers. All of us in Engineering take pride in the code that we write, wear many hats working across various components of the stack and collaborate with each other and are customer driven. We take equal pride in writing product code, writing test code, writing performance benchmarks or working on the infrastructure.
- Architect, design, and develop systems software and interfaces upon which the Xcalar compute engine is built.
- Design and reason about multi threaded parallel algorithms to ensure that operations can meet the defined SLAs and run as parallel and concurrent as possible whilst remaining free of race conditions
- Work on challenging distributed system problems, such as recovery, consensus, load balancing, etc.
- Work on distributed transactional system providing ACID semantics with read isolation levels expected in a database system
- Focus on delivering the highest levels of robustness, performance, modularity, and simplicity in a distributed, multi-threaded environment
- Work with engineering leadership to ensure the design and development is on track and meet our product goals and quality metrics
- Create clear and concise documentation for all the work performed, including architecture and design documents, code comments, technical notes, READMEs, bug fixes, root cause analysis, etc.
- Write automation unit and stress tests for your features and help with issue triage and resolution as needed during the product development process
- BS/MS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- Minimum 5 years systems software engineering expertise
- Experience in C++ programming
- Proficiency in Unix/Linux and operating system concepts such as mutli threading, paging, memory allocation
- Experience in distributed systems, data structures such as B+ trees / hashing / key value stores, multi-threaded development, and File systems or Database systems internals.
- Ability to develop parallel algorithms that can benefit from today's CPU architectures
- Strong computer architecture and OS background with expertise in schedulers, performance, memory and buffer management.
- Strong motivation or background to work on parallel and distributed algorithms to scale systems from machine level to application logic
- Sound understanding of CPU, machine and instruction set architectures.
- Strong track record in delivering production software with high quality.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working in high-performance teams.
Interested in working at a small, fast-moving, early-stage startup that is pushing the technical envelope
Growth mindset, eager to learn different parts of the system, deeply cares about robustness and quality of the code
Communicate with peers, product manager, CTO and other stake holders
Xcalar is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Xcalar considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected class.
Xcalar reserves the right of ownership for all unsolicited resumes submitted for this requisition and is not responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes