Systems Software Engineer
San Jose, CA
Xcalar is pushing the limits of technology to help people discover deep meaningful insights from data, and our mission is to become the de facto standard for next generation Big Data Processing and Analytics Engines.
Due to our continued growth, we are looking to hire System Software Engineers to join our team! In this role, you will be a critical part of our engineering team, developing system software at the core of Xcalar’s relational compute engine.
Xcalar’s engineering team is responsible for developing the products used in financial services industry, government institutions and pharmaceutical companies to provide timely insights in production, and hence has to be highly reliable and scalable. All of us in Engineering take pride in the code that we write, and we go to lengths to ensure our products are dependable and robust because any bugs can major disruptions.
Willing to consider fresh graduates with a Computer Science degree who have taken the Operating System course and have built an O.S. subsystem from scratch.
*Principals only, no recruiters please*
- Work with the automation team and help with issue triage and resolution as needed during the product development process
Architect, design, and develop the microkernel infrastructure and system software upon which the Xcalar product line is built
Participate in all phases of the development lifecycle from product definition and design, through implementation and testing
Design and reason about parallel algorithms to ensure that operations can run as parallel and concurrent as possible whilst remaining free of race conditions
Work on challenging distributed system problems, such as recovery, consensus, load balancing, etc.
Work on challenging database problems, such as query optimization and execution, consistency and isolation levels, etc.
Focus on delivering the highest levels of robustness, performance, modularity, and simplicity in a distributed, multi-threaded environment
Work with engineering leadership to ensure the design and development are on track and meet our product goals and quality metrics
Create clear and concise documentation for all the work performed, including architecture and design documents, code comments, technical notes, READMEs, bug fixes, root cause analysis, etc.
- BS/MS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years systems software engineering
- Proficiency in C / C++ programming
- Ability to develop parallel algorithms that can benefit from today's CPU architectures
- Strong computer architecture and OS background with expertise in virtual memory subsystems, schedulers, performance, and networking
- Strong motivation or background to work on parallel and distributed algorithms to scale systems from machine level to application logic
- Sound understanding of CPU, machine and instruction set architectures
- Excellent communication skills and experience working in high-performance teams
- Interested in working at a small, fast-moving, early stage startup
Xcalar is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Xcalar considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected class. Please reference http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf and