Technology – Platform
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are on the lookout for a Wellington based People Lead to join Platform Engineering, which is part of the Technology group. Platform Engineering is responsible for building and maintaining critical applications and services consumed throughout Xero globally. These services are central to keeping Xero online and scale to millions of customers.
You will be managing engineers in our Accounting Platform team, enabling a culture of professional development, performance and open communication. You will be responsible for supporting your direct reports in becoming awesome Xeros, empowering them to deliver high-quality software to customers, hone their engineering skills, and foster the growth of a world-class engineering culture. You'll also be part of a team of motivated People Leads collaborating on initiatives to continually improve people processes for recruitment, growth, training and other areas. Your role can be summarised by ‘you do what is needed for your reports to be successful in their pods’.
What you'll do
- Engage with your team’s members and leaders to build close relationships and ways of working together
- Manage a high performing team of engineers including career development and ongoing training
- Attract, recruit and retain capable individuals, building on and complementing the diversity of our team;
- Champion processes and practices that make it possible for engineers to get great work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn;
- Role-model exemplary leadership by supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders at Xero.
What you'll bring with you
- Experience in coaching and mentoring
- Experience of leading within a product delivery environment using Lean-Agile techniques
- Awareness of modern software development practices and lifecycle
- Proven ability to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the business
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way
- Leading and living the vision. You keep the team’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and actions
- High E.Q. Self-aware, self-regulated, motivated and empathetic, with great interpersonal skills.A growth mind-set. You understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work
- Experience in building trust and credibility with stakeholders and working relationships across all levels of the business.
From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome. We are so proud of our collaborative and inclusive culture that appreciates the power of diversity and allows creativity to thrive and innovation to flourish. We’re an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick accredited too.
We also have all the typical perks you’d expect from a tech company: team humour, games room, barista coffee, fresh fruit, sports teams, board games and #beautiful working environment.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you. Apply today!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.