Engineer and Senior Engineers (Front End) - Platform Engineering
Remote, NZ /
Technology – Engineering /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
We are on the lookout for a Front End Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team, which is part of the Technology group at Xero.
Platform Engineering is responsible for building and maintaining critical applications and services consumed throughout Xero. These services are central to keeping Xero online and scale to millions of customers.
As an Engineer in our team, you will contribute technical expertise as we scale our help & support for teams making changes in our systems, plan and advise on modernisation efforts, and navigate our way into a future that will allow Xero to grow even faster than it is now.
You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices. You’ll contribute to the technical direction of the product group, helping grow our cross functional environment by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing & demonstrating modern principles and practices.
What you'll do:
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, produce robust high quality and scalable software aligned to Xero’s web standards. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Design - Iterate and collaborate on designs with our design team
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Practice agile software development. Occasionally facilitate agile ceremonies. Proactively work to improve team processes.
What you'll bring with you:
- Awareness (and preferably experience) in these aspects of web development: testing, build tooling, performance, responsive design, security, accessibility, localisation
- Experience building and maintaining complex web applications, preferably in React + Redux
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Knowledge of what makes a good API, be it a function, a component, or a web service
- Performance optimization techniques
- Leadership experience and being a mentor in past roles
- SASS, CSS and HTML and an understanding of CSS modules or CSS in JS
- Familiar with continuous integration and automated deployment systems
- An understanding of Agile methods and concepts
Why you should become a Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us! You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices in Wellington or Auckland
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently Remote from anywhere in NZ!
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Xero strongly encourages employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.