Developers (Engineering Practice)
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Engineering & Architecture /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We have some amazing opportunities for experienced Developers across the teams within our Engineering Practice group, based in Wellington.
The Engineering Practice Support team works across the business to lead efforts to improve engineering practices and culture, and to help Xero to reach its audacious goals of being a world-class engineering powerhouse and opening up our product to global markets.
You will contribute to the design, development, and management of tools and services that enable other teams to modernise their customer-facing applications. The solutions you build will have a measurable effect on teams’ delivery performance and confidence. You’ll also work closely with other developers from product teams at Xero to champion understanding their pain points, champion world-class engineering practices and provide technical mentorship to enable your skills to be shared across the organisation.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with Architects, Designers, Product managers/owners, Developers and DevOps engineers to design scalable and high performing software and solutions that can be delivered with high confidence and low risk. Help decide a good approach for implementing these designs and push for the delivery of the software.
- Contribute your diverse knowledge of Xero Product and technologies into the team’s design activities to increase the effectiveness of the team at making informed decisions which will result in improved usability.
- Work in an agile team to deliver robust, high-quality software based on customer needs; complying with Xero’s formal and informal development team standards and procedures.
- Incorporate recommended engineering practices into development to deliver and maintain quality targets. Identify improvements and take the lead on action.
- Take operational responsibility for the systems your team owns, which may including participating in 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Understand and contribute to paying down technical debt within the software you and your team are responsible for.
What you’ll bring with you:
- Experience in designing, developing, and improving web-based applications, command-line tools, and microservices.
- Experience working with build tools (e.g.TeamCity, Jenkins), deploy tools (e.g. Octopus, AWS CodeDeploy), and monitoring tools (e.g. Cloudwatch, New Relic).
- A passion for software development and building design-led software.
- Ability to collaborate and respect the strengths across team members to deliver complex solutions to business problems.
- Capacity to identify and isolate design patterns.
- Ability to communicate complex solutions and ideas clearly, articulately, and succinctly.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.