DevOps Engineer - PaaS
Auckland, NZ /
Technology – Platform /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Based in Auckland, you will be part of the Platform-as-a-Service team, a cross-functional agile infrastructure development team. As well as maintaining the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and supporting your team members in building products together, you’ll contribute to our environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
It would be great for you to have experience with relevant technologies used throughout the software development lifecycle. Source control systems (Git), build systems (such as TeamCity or Jenkins), deployment tooling (including AWS CodeDeploy, Octopus Deploy, etc) and monitoring tools (like Cloudwatch and New Relic) and Kafka.
What you'll do:
- Be customer-focused and directly engage with our PaaS customers; identify customer pain points and solve real customer problems based on observing their struggles and analysing customer data.
- Provide feedback and technical mentorship to the team, encouraging best practices; share knowledge within the team and wider teams; role model technical and value-driven behaviours.
- Develop continuous delivery pipelines and software tools to automate cloud-based solutions
- Create and maintain APIs, website frontends, and command line tools
- Automate and support infrastructure in AWS with infrastructure-as-code solutions
- Continuously improve processes and solutions to be scalable and highly available
- Implement detection and alerting of anomalous behaviours
- Work with internal customers including product team developers, architects, product owners, and site reliability engineers to understand their platform needs and build software tools to enable developer productivity
- Master several technical areas while maintaining a broad understanding of the current industry landscape. Ensure technical decisions are made with your team in alignment with Xero’s engineering practice.
- Work proactively with your manager on your personal and career development, highlighting any training/development needs and following through with actions agreed.
What you'll bring with you:
- Hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS.
- A customer focused mindset and the ability to directly engage with our PaaS.
- Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible or Chef, etc.)
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
- Experience with a programming language (e.g. Golang, Python, C# or Java, etc.)
- Experience administering Windows/Linux servers in a highly available environment
- An understanding of REST APIs
- Familiarity with agile software development methodology and tooling, including continuous integration and delivery
- A solid understanding of network services and/or building and maintaining a Kubernetes cluster
- A strong desire to automate processes, build software tools, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions in a DevOps environment
Why you should join
If you’re looking to work with an amazing company right here in Auckland, then this is the opportunity you’re looking for. We have a huge global presence and have a strategy in place for continued success. At Xero, we have a great environment to develop in and we have a culture that we’re proud of. We're a big part of the development community and have many social groups too.
As part of our awesome package, you’ll get Xero shares and other cool perks to make your time here more enjoyable than elsewhere so get in touch.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.