Technical Lead - Product
Wellington, NZ /
Product – Development /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
What’s a tech lead at Xero?
The Technical Lead isn't a people manager role, but it is very hands-on. You will work closely with engineers across a number of Pods in order to solve interesting and challenging delivery problems.
You’ll provide a shining light of engineering excellence and leadership that other engineers aspire to and want to emulate. You will be responsible for supporting, guiding and mentoring our developers on a technical level. Contributing to the development of engineering as a practice in Xero by producing best practices and sharing these with the broader team.
The engineers in the teams around you will grow in capability and confidence by working with you. Ultimately, you’ll leave the codebase AND the coders better than you found them!
Day to day you will:
- Technical coaching and mentoring our engineers to reach their full potential
- Help our product grow by identifying and resolving any architectural issues that impact the speed at which the development team can deliver features.
- Assist the teams to contribute to and translate architecture into a technical vision and roadmap across the domain and then assist in implementing that vision over time
- Collaborate with other Tech Leads to champion and drive engineering principles and practices including assisting in the implementation of new standards, technologies or methodologies
- Provide guidance on non-functional design elements in solutions including security, scalability and performance, monitoring and alerting, analytics, documentation and quality
- Guide and influence technical related decisions across the teams
What you'll bring with you?
- A track record of developing software that is secure, performant and scalable
- A passion for coaching and mentoring developers
- Ability to influence and lead engineers to a great outcome
- Experience working on cloud infrastructure platforms
- Capable of architecting, designing and implementing customer focused software solutions
- Previous experience identifying and implementing process improvement
- Excellent communication skills
- An excellent understanding of Agile methodologies and their benefits/drawbacks
Why work at Xero?
Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you.
Who says you can't have fun while you do the best work of your life? We see the value in work-life balance, many of us take full advantage of our flexible working arrangements, so whether you like to get a surf in before work, like to head home in time to pick up the kids or you just like working from the comfort of your own home now and then, we want to support you.
We trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your hunger to learn with training and career mentorship, to help you flourish. Our facilities and PX teams work hard to give us great workspaces with all the tech company perks so join us and experience our awesome culture!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.