Director, Global Strategy (M&A and Deal Strategy Focus), APAC
Sydney, AU /
Strategy & Corporate Development – Strategy /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
To support our growing pipeline of opportunities and choices, Xero is hiring a Director within the Global Strategy team on a 12 month FTC (with potential of permanency) to work closely with Xero’s Global Corporate Development team. The Global Corporate Development team is responsible for executing Xero’s inorganic growth strategy (M&A). This role will work very closely with that team and have a meaningful impact on multiple elements of the deal cycle. The deals that you will help guide will represent some of the most important decisions we make each year, shaping our ability to positively impact the lives of people in small business, their advisers and communities around the world.
What you'll do
- Primarily focus on working with the Global Corporate Development team but also be an active member of Xero’s Global Strategy team; you will work on projects across both teams
- Be a key contributor to the ongoing evolution of Xero’s M&A strategy, including evaluating the changing landscape in which Xero operates, identifying the most attractive opportunities and ensuring Xero is positioned to win in the future
- Coordinate cross-functional teams across Xero including Product, Platform, Technology and various Go-to-Market teams to explore, evaluate, and recommend strategies and tactics to primarily to support Xero’s M&A ambitions
- Lead and / or coordinate commercial due diligence, as required on live deals
- Structure and solve business problems, collaborating and coordinating with a range of internal stakeholders to make recommendations on a wide range of business issues
- Oversee the development of rigorous, fact based, quantitative analysis to support recommendations
- Ensure strategic and financial soundness and alignment for any recommendations
- Communicate recommendations to senior management, other executive, functional or regional management and staff in a clear, concise and impactful way
- Create and present M&A deal related materials for the Board of Directors and Executive leadership and broader strategic projects
- Provide mentorship and direction to junior team members, and contribute to the Strategy and Corporate Development team’s collective toolkit to continually enhance our effectiveness as an organisation
What you'll bring with you
- 7-10 years in Strategy, ideally with specific M&A / commercial due diligence experience
- MBA or relevant graduate degree from top-tier institution
- Extensive experience structuring and managing complex cross-enterprise projects and processes with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels
- Proven track record of commercial due diligence experience and an ability to create value through that process
- Extensive experience and comfort managing several concurrent projects of varying structures and types, including long-term strategy, internal consulting engagements, and projects that lend a strategic perspective to immediate business opportunities
- Deep understanding of the SaaS and/or accounting and professional service industry, preferred
- Demonstrated direct team leadership experience and indirect team leadership of cross-functional resources
- Demonstrated success in past roles helping companies make and execute choices that led to winning in their chosen domain
- Low-ego – equally comfortable giving and receiving direction, leading and contributing as appropriate, driving executive conversations or supporting as necessary
- High EQ – strong ability to ‘read the room’ and adjust approach, management tactics, and communication style as appropriate
- Ability to rapidly get to an ‘80/20’ answer, and comfort tailoring the analytical approach as necessary given project timelines
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.