Director of Partnerships, EMEA
Remote, UK /
Strategy & Corporate Development – Partnerships /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Small business makes the world go round – it’s the heart of the global economy and our communities. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
Xero established its partnerships program early in its journey. We recognised that customers and our accounting partners would value the ability to write into - and extract data from - their Xero account, via API.
Early examples included reporting applications extracting and presenting Xero customer data in rich and flexible ways; and data automation applications writing scanned receipt data into Xero.
Today Xero’s developer program supports some 900 application partners who develop against an ever growing set of capabilities which now include single sign-on and OAuth2.0.
Most of these are business applications, but we are finding that increasing numbers of these partners are financial service providers in areas such as POS, spend management, payments and lending.
Building on this program, Xero has developed strategic relationships with partners such as GoCardless, Stripe and Transferwise, which include Xero creating and supporting custom integration - and importantly, creating new ‘embedded’ capabilities ‘powered by’ these partners on our platform. Xero takes these propositions to market increasingly within its core go-to-market motions and either bills-on-behalf, or realises revenue share with these partners.
And finally, we are beginning to pay more attention to global partnerships with the likes of Amazon and Microsoft under a strategic partnerships program.
You will lead Xero’s Partnerships function in the UK & EMEA, driving and supporting engagement with partners across ecosystem, financial services and strategic global players.
What you’ll do...
- Lead a team of Partner Managers, and a wider community of UK-based global Xeros.
- Reporting to the MD, UK & EMEA, you will be a valued member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Establish ‘dotted-line’ relationships with the global EGMs for ecosystem, financial and strategic partnerships.
- Represent and advocate for the partnerships agenda within EMEA, as part of the UK & EMEA leadership team.
- Be responsible for local roll out of a partnership strategy devised in concert with the UK & EMEA Leadership Team and the wider global partnership teams.
- Represent Xero as the face of ecosystem, financial and strategic partnerships at events and with the media
- Engage regulators and trade bodies, in conjunction with local teams as necessary on topics such as financial regulation and open banking.
- Track competitive and relevant industry players and landscapes, including accounting, banking and fintech.
Success looks like...
- Meet and exceed the relevant success measures in place, such as KPI's, Revenue goals including subscription targets for Xero’s financial partner and ecosystems propositions
- Defining and delivering against partnering best-practices, which ensure clear stakeholder visibility of partnering activity and progress, including performance reporting and partner engagement (e.g. Executive Briefings and QBRs)
- Securing partner sponsorship of relevant Xero events and marketing initiatives (as part of documented partner plans)
- Ensure the Regional Relationship Managers and Business Development teams you lead are set up for success, with clear expectations, and the knowledge, assets and support they need to thrive in their role.
What You'll Bring With You: Competencies
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to build relationships and negotiate with various stakeholder groups, at the most senior levels
- Leadership skills and experience working in a complex environment
- Commercial and contract negotiation
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong organisational and relationship skills
- Be a self-starter
- Ability to motivate and manage direct and indirect teams across multiple functions
- An ability to cope with change in a fast paced dynamic environment
What you'll Bring With You: Experience...
- Knowledge of payments, lending and the broader fintech landscape
- Knowledge of the accounting industry - highly desirable but not essential
- Familiarity with Xero and its business, an advantage
- Proven track record developing and growing partnership in financial services and other industries
- Commercial experience negotiating agreements with financial services institutions - large and small, old world and new
- Extensive experience participating in and/or leading high functioning collaborative teams working in fast-paced environments
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package with benefits that support a range of lifestyle choices and requirements and the opportunity to participate in Xero’s success through our Long Term Incentive scheme. Xero has rapidly expanding offices in London, Milton Keynes and Manchester and our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident committed. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.