Senior Project Manager
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Delivery & Ops /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to join our successful Technology Operations & Projects team, based in Wellington.
The Technology Operations and Projects group exists to help our Technology, Product and wider Xero teams to deliver high quality projects and drive initiatives that are large, cross-cutting or complex in nature. We are a team of passionate project and operations professionals who apply a flexible, customer-centric approach to driving change across our business.
The Senior Project Manager role is to lead critical projects from concept through to operational handover. Rapid project start up, world class delivery and robust operational management are critical to ensuring we meet our objectives. Our Project Managers are responsible for the planning, scoping, and scheduling of activities to complete projects to a high standard, whilst ensuring innovation and speed of delivery are maintained. Methodologies, frameworks and processes used to aid delivery will be selected and applied fit for purpose, therefore it is expected our Project Managers have broad knowledge and understanding of various methods and approaches, and are able to be flexible in the chosen approach.
As the Senior Project Manager, you will be required to work across various business units, functional areas and technical and non-technical initiatives, therefore a broad experience base to draw on is critical. You will be expected to coach and mentor other project staff including project managers and co-ordinators, and take on or assist with projects that may require assistance.
What you'll do:
- Lead the planning, implementation and delivery of projects on time, on budget and to the desired quality and scope.
- Lead the development of initiatives into structured projects and programmes.
- Facilitate the definition of scope, goals and deliverables.
- Develop fit for purpose project plans and approaches (including agile, iterative and waterfall).
- Assemble project teams from internal and external resource pools as required.
- Vendor management where required.
- Assist with recruitment, staff induction and training where required.
- Report on the progress of projects including risks and issues/problems and solutions at regular intervals.
- Embrace and champion the project(s) assigned and drive delivery of the change to a high standard.
- Be able to manage concurrent projects and prioritise the effort on each according to organisational priorities in discussion with the Project Management Lead, Technology.
- Maintain strong communications with all teams at Xero.
- Maintain a balanced perspective by building relationships and interacting with relevant internal stakeholders.
- Work across the spectrum of project delivery activity from coordination to management, owning the outcome.
- Work closely with stakeholders to transition project deliverables into BAU.
- Help to develop and roll out strategies for project delivery and communications across the Technology and Product groups, and other teams when appropriate.
- Develop repeatable processes where practicable to increase efficiency in project delivery.
- Clear and concise escalation of any complex risks or issues.
What you’ll bring with you:
- Agile /iterative and waterfall approaches
- Understanding of business processes, structures and organisations
- 10+ years demonstrated experience leading and delivering multiple projects
- Demonstrated experience in leading large scale projects and project teams in excess of 15 FTE
- Demonstrated vendor management and stakeholder engagement.
- Relevant infrastructure, data and application development, business process led and business change subject matter expertise/demonstrated experience.
- Extremely confident in driving change across large organisations
- Understanding of business processes, structures and organisations.
- Experience working to GM level, demonstrated experience preparing/reporting to C level.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.