Senior Developer (Productivity Engineering)
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Engineering & Architecture /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Productivity Engineering team makes developing world-class products easier for the Xero Product
team. By solving some of the complex challenges of development at scale, you will be a catalyst for
productivity gains across the organization.
As a Senior Developer in the team, you will utilize your depth and breadth of experience to design and develop
applications and tools which enable product development teams to be more productive. Contributions will
have a multiplicative effect on delivering Xero customer value by simplifying complex application design
and development problems in a consistent and low effort-to-adopt manner.
Improving the Xero development experience is a significant enabler for delivering world-class products and development in the Productivity Engineering team is at the heart of making that happen!
What you'll do:
- Contribute to the initial specifications, user stories and/or design of new or improved features, working with customers (Xero Product Developers) and Productivity Engineering stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Architects and other Developers to design scalable and high performing software and solutions.
- Contribute your diverse knowledge of Xero Product and technologies into the team’s design activities to increase the effectiveness of the team.
- Work in a highly agile team to deliver robust, high-quality software based on customer needs; complying with Xero’s formal and informal development team standards and procedures.
- Incorporate recommended engineering practices into development to deliver and maintain quality targets.
- Help to define and champion the team’s, and potentially Xero’s, formal and informal standards and practices, both technical and non-technical.
- Keep up to date with the wider Xero Product ecosystem and where the application you are working on fits in. Champion any practices that your application or team employs to the wider Xero Product ecosystem if you see any benefit.
- Have an active interest in available development technologies and how Xero uses them, and contribute to how we could use them more.
- Work with any stakeholders to understand key business problems that your team is solving and help present the solutions back to those stakeholders.
- Participate in presenting Xero practices externally to help promote the Xero development brand.
What experience you'll bring:
- Ability to communicate complex solutions clearly
- Experience in designing and developing web-based applications, command line tools, and micro-services
- Proven track record of increasing the performance of a team
- Applied development experience covering a breadth of Product functions and technologies
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.