Product Design Lead
Toronto, CA /
Product – Design /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
Design Leads help define, detail and drive end-to-end product experiences at Xero. You’ll be a ‘player / coach’ – working on your own design tasks, as well as assisting others through design critique and mentorship. You’ll be contributing to design strategy, and looking after key relationships with Product leaders. You’ll help define how we improve as a Design team by working closely with other Leads, as well as our Design Directors.
What you’ll do
Everyone is ‘on the tools’ at Xero in the Design team. Design Leads combine designing and delivering their own Product design with a broader responsibility across the Product Design team as a whole working on design projects.
As a Product Designer
- You’ll contribute to the Design team’s culture with a positive and generous approach to help create an inspiring environment for the Design team
- You’ll create the patterns and flows that make the product experience simple and useful. You’ll understand the multiple possibilities for user journeys through the products and design for them
- You’ll write and edit product language within the constraints of the product content strategy and language patterns
- You’ll employ user-centered design methods and best practices – including research and analytics – to cultivate a deep understanding of the needs and aspirations of the people our products are designed for
- You’ll clearly present your ideas and rationale through prototypes, diagrams, mockups, etc
- You’ll work with Product and Design Leadership so that your product design work fits well with Xero’s product strategy and roadmaps
- You’ll help build a world class design team and create beautiful experiences that delight
As a Product Design Lead
- You’ll offer design critique to all Designers, sharing your thoughts and domain knowledge in a useful and constructive way
- You’ll mentor others in the Design team, particularly those new to Xero and/or new in their design career, so that they can do their best work and develop skills and expertise
- Leads work as a Lead team – together you’ll share a responsibility for aspects of making the Design Team better, such as: Helping deliver the team’s professional development programme, and creating better processes across the team like continuously improving ways we work with development teams
- Leads work closely with their Design Directors – you’ll share in the strategising work and conversations, building strong relationships with engineering leads and product managers to help influence prioritisation of work and roadmap items.
- You'll contribute to all aspects of our research programme alongside dedicated Design Researchers, and you’ll champion good design process with others in Product teams
- Based on a view of the breadth of Xero’s products, you’ll tackle large, complex and systemic pieces of work that help set the vision for product user experience across the product and within specific areas
- You’ll present design and design strategy to a variety of internal and external groups, from product colleagues to C-level executives
- You’ll understand linkages between projects and contribute to design strategy (how and why we do things), and product strategies (what we make and release, and in what order, and why).
Success looks like
- You’re delivering great product design work and you’re helping other Designers do the same
- You’re respected by your peers, the design team, and Product leaders
- You’re helping improve the way we do things in the Design team through your contribution to the Leads group and your regular input with the Directors
- You’re leading and delivering on schedule against agreed deadlines, to the highest quality standards
- You’re collaborating and communicating well with all Xero colleagues, especially Design & Development teams
- You’re clearly articulating status updates to stakeholders
- An inclusive, collaborative approach that helps maintain our values and contributes to making Xero a great place to work
- You’re a well-organised, passionate, pragmatic and empathetic colleague
- Expert communication skills
- Calm, effective, leadership skills
- A wide range of Product Design experience
- Experience working closely with developers and other designers
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- Expertise of the entire design process from uncovering customer needs and pain points, to executing elegant interfaces
If you would like to hear more about this role and the opportunity to help shape the next phase in the Xero success story, please apply with a resume, cover letter and a completed portfolio. If it's a good fit, we'll reach out to schedule a phone screen!
Xero is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc, an automated data capture platform and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.