Product Owner - New Segments
Product – Product Management
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Team
The New Segments team is part of the Business Products portfolio responsible for driving growth for Xero from adjacent products and new segment propositions across our global markets. It's an exciting and growing portfolio to be in because we work closely with teams in our global markets, we are tasked with growth beyond the core accounting products, and because we have a great variety of product and engineering challenges to work on. In New Segments we are tasked with deeply understanding our customers needs so that we can create and package propositions to win in those segments, so we're building flexible foundations and applying our commercial and customer mindset to how we take those to market.
About the Role
As a Product Owner within Xero you will be working with a talented development team and responsible for executing on our product vision and roadmap by creating and delivering beautiful products and services, to win the hearts and minds of customers around the world. This role involves working on a strategically important and exciting product launch.
About You (What you’ll do as a Product Owner)
- Clarify the customer problem that is being solved, removing ambiguity and uncertainty by extracting requirements, negotiating priorities and facilitating sessions.
- Guide the product, engineering and design teams through estimation to validate customer value, using agreed techniques which are measurable and adaptive.
- Provide a sense of direction for the product delivery team, as well as product stakeholders and other teams. Provide radical transparency with product managers to help define the product roadmap and agree the key goals, measures, outcomes and estimate timeframes.
- Regularly call out impediments, making difficult decisions with the team and only escalating what needs to be escalated with the product manager, be aligned on what’s needed and what you’re working towards.
- Work autonomously with cross functional teams to manage dependencies to get mutually beneficial outcomes and ensure technical debt doesn’t accumulate.Identify, prioritise and manage dependencies with other product teams and stakeholders and bring product domain knowledge into the team.
- Map user stories and break them down into backlog items, prioritise backlog items within and across sprints and then create sprints based on prioritised backlog items.
- Produce estimates with the tech team for when product releases will be available, and making sure internal teams are up to date and supported with your releases.
- Measure and regularly report on ‘getting it done’ sprints cycles by tracking performance and eliminating waste, to deliver real customer and business value.
What You’ll Bring With You (Key Skills required for this position)
- At least 3-5 years experience in software for the internet (SaaS) in a comparable product role
- Hands on experience with agile processes and principles, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Measuring product performance and working with product analytics
- Experience working on native mobile projects desired but not a must
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.