Product Designer - Auckland
Auckland, NZ /
Product – Design /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We’re looking for a talented Product Designer to come and join our Xero Design team in Auckland.
About the design practice here at Xero
Xero is incredibly user centric, which means design is at the heart of all our product development. Globally there are 100+ practitioners in our product design group across NZ, AU, UK, USA and Canada.
The Product Design team is a vital part of Xero’s success and our product makes a meaningful difference in the lives and businesses of more than a million people around the world. Within the design function we have two main areas, Product design and Design Research. We are all one team and as a result work cross functionally with our development and product teammates in order to create the most beautiful and enjoyable experiences for our customers.
What you’ll do:
- You will get to work on design problems from beginning to end – from concepting the next great product innovation to tweaking pixels right before launch.
- You love crafting beautiful interfaces and care about the details at every step of the journey from concept to shipped code
- You’ll work closely with product designers, product strategists, technical leads and developers.
- You will present your ideas and rationale in conversations with others, and through prototypes, models and mockups
- You will not only improve what we build, but you will also contribute to how we go about doing it, better.
- You’ll cultivate a deep understanding of the needs and aspirations of the people our products are designed for.
What we need from you
- You’re an experienced designer, accustomed to user-centered design methods and best practices
- Ideally product (Software as a service) design experience but we’ll still consider you if you have really strong design experience elsewhere.
- Strong problem definition and articulation – challenging assumptions and 'pre-set' thinking around solutions, agreeing the purpose, principles and vision
- You're a natural when it comes to collaborating with cross functional teams to ensure proposed solutions balance user needs, business strategy and technical constraints
- Proven experience in creating effective handover materials which clearly communicate how the design should look and behave throughout interaction flows and journeys (e.g. User flow diagrams, design specifications, experience/interaction specifications etc)
What you can look forward to
Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you. Who says you can't have fun while you do the best work of your life?
We see the value in work-life balance, many of us take full advantage of our flexible working arrangements, so whether you like to get a surf in before work, like to head home in time to pick up the kids or you just like working from the comfort of your own home now and then, we want to support you.
We trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your hunger to learn with training and career mentorship, to help you flourish. Our facilities and PX teams work hard to give us great workspaces with all the tech company perks so join us and experience our awesome culture!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.