Senior DevOps Engineer
New York, US
Product – Product - General
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the role
Based in New York, you will be part of the of the Payment & Billing Services platform team, a cross-functional agile team. Our goal is to create a platform that provides a variety of solutions in AWS to Xero product development teams in a highly automated fashion. You will write API-first software to deploy, monitor, and maintain many of Xero's core services. You will also play a role in ensuring the products that this cross-functional team are responsible for are available, secure, scalable, robust, high performing and cost effective to serve both Xero customers and partners.
It would be great for you to have experience with relevant technologies used throughout the software development lifecycle. Source control systems (git), build systems (such as TeamCity or Jenkins), deployment tooling (including AWS CodeDeploy, Octopus Deploy, etc) and monitoring tools (like Cloudwatch and New Relic).
What you’ll do
• Develop continuous delivery pipelines and software tools to automate cloud-based solutions
• Create and maintain APIs, website frontends, and command line tools
• Automate and support infrastructure in AWS with infrastructure-as-code solutions
• Continuously improve processes and solutions to be scalable and highly available
• Implement detection and alerting of anomalous behaviors
• Work with internal customers including product team developers, architects, product owners, database administrators and site reliability engineers to understand their platform needs and build software tools to enable developer productivity
• Work with the team to take operational responsibility for their services and to establish processes and monitoring which drives incremental improvement
• Provide 24x7 on call support as required
What you’ll bring with you
• 3+ years hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably Amazon Web Services
• Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code (with tools like Cloudformation, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
• Experience with an object-oriented programming language (like Python, C#, Java, etc.) and scripting languages (like Bash, PowerShell)
• Understanding of REST APIs
• Knowledge of relational database systems and concepts (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.)
• Experience administering both Linux and Windows servers as well as docker based infrastructure (like Kubernetes, ECS, etc.) in a highly available environment
• Familiarity with agile software development methodology and tooling, including continuous integration and continuous delivery
• A strong desire to automate processes, build software tools, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions in a DevOps environment
• Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares.
Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.