General Manager - Data Enrichment (Auckland or Wellington)
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Data - Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
The Data team is responsible for driving the adoption of data driven decision making across Xero - for both our internal users and our global audience of small business owners, bookkeepers and accountants. We create, manage and deliver a wide range of data services including core reporting, key data dimensions, extensible and scalable analytical data processing and storage facilities, machine learning toolsets, frameworks and API driven prediction services.
We are the center of expertise for data architecture, data modeling, machine learning, ethical data usage and artificial intelligence service design. We also lead the work to raise the data and AI literacy levels across Xero with a particular focus on the product management and engineering cohorts globally.
How you'll make an impact
As the GM of Data Enrichment you will be responsible for driving Xero’s approach to the at-scale transformation and enrichment of data to drive consistent reporting and ‘ML inside’ products and services.
You and your team will play a critical role in transforming Xero’s ability to deliver intelligent products and services by designing and building re-usable frameworks, patterns and processes across a spectrum of data enrichment mechanisms including laboratory data stores, feature factories, data marts and data warehouses.
The Data team at Xero delivers via cross-functional initiative teams and hence your team members will work on both specialised capability build (e.g. metadata and data lineage systems, datamart design, patterns and systems for detecting and masking sensitive data) and cross-functional product/service delivery teams with other areas of the Data team and colleagues from across the business.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with the EGM Data and your peers within the Data team to develop the data / ML / AI roadmap at Xero
- Create, grow and lead the team responsible for transforming and enriching Xero’s analytical data including the data warehouses / data marts required to support accurate business critical reporting
- Establish and drive adoption of best practices for testing, component re-use, architecture, design and technical standards.
- Process raw data at scale from internal and external data sources and expose for use cases/ data applications in collaboration with the Data Platform team
- Design, build, and management of core data pipelines for a wide variety of data sources (streaming data pipelines, batch processing, storing and transformation, and distribution of data) in collaboration with the Data Platform team
- Evaluate and where necessary improve our deployment and change management process.
- Champion and coordinate a cross-Xero approach to developing key analytical data assets / flows
- Provide subject matter expertise (from you and your senior team) to M&A activity conducted by the Strategy team
- Optimise delivery and operations to reuse capabilities and continually reduce cost while improving quality of delivery and operations.
- Evangelise an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance.
- Provide subject matter expertise (from you and your senior team) to Evangelism and Education activity across Xero, raising the data and AI literacy of our workforce with a particular emphasis on the engineering and product management cohorts
- Remain up to date with relevant technology changes and trends and continually grow a knowledge of how they may benefit Xero
- Establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the wider organisation
- Collaborate with your peers within Data to sponsor, staff and deliver programs of work that require expertise from your team
- Attract, retain, develop and motivate exceptional talent
What you'll bring with you
- Practitioner level understanding of building, maintaining and operating scalable and reliable data processing pipelines, data warehouses and metadata management systems and workflows and driving the safe and privacy preserving use of customer data for business outcomes
- Good understanding and experience measuring and designing for non-functionals, like reliability, availability, security and performance
- Experience in evaluating technologies and measuring the impact of technical choice
- Extensive experience working with software development and data projects at scale
- Track record of addressing customer needs through innovative use of data and technology
- Previous experience in leading people leaders and forming high-performing teams
- Proven experience collaborating with a diverse stakeholder group to realise commercial outcomes
- Proven experience facilitating discussions between technical and non-technical audience
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.