Engineer - Data Reliability
Technology – Reliability
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the role
As Xero’s next Engineer across Data Reliability, you will be passionate about stable and secure systems management practices and be detail-oriented and systematic. You will work with development teams to evangelize good database practices and champion database reliability across Product teams. You will make an impact in your role by finding ways to automate tasks while creating a culture focused on continually improving the operation of Xero’s data persistence technology.
- To be successful in this role you will need to have experience in:
- PostgreSQL (management and development)
- 2+ years managing production databases
- Relational databases at scale
- Familiarity with distributed systems
- Can read a variety of programming languages and comfort with submitting Pull Requests
- Powershell scripting
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with MySQL
- Cloud Database Hosting Services
You will be responsible for:
- Embracing and championing best practices for database safety and performance.
- Contributing to automating every aspect of datastore management
- Collaborating with a wide variety of Product Team engineers to help them build reliable and scalable services
- Creating auto-remediation systems
- Data modeling and data structure design skills
- Advanced troubleshooting and monitoring of our systems to ensure adequate Service Level Objectives and capacity requirement
- Helping define the tools and philosophies used among the team around deployment, monitoring, testing and security
What Xero can offer you…
If you’re looking to work with an internationally acclaimed, award winning product right here in Auckland then this is the opportunity you’re looking for. We’ve got huge global reach and appeal, have a strategy in place for continued success and now is the time to be a part of it all.
Xero’s environment is an awesome place to develop in: we have a culture we’re proud of which is the envy of many and our social vibe is real and alive. We're a big part of the development community and regularly go to conferences and host events and we have lots of social groups/teams too.
As part of our awesome package you’ll get Xero shares as well as a swathe of other cool perks to make your time here that much more enjoyable than elsewhere so if your interested apply online and we will be in touch.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.