Corporate Development Associate
Sydney, AU /
Strategy & Corporate Development – Strategy /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
Xero’s Corporate Development team is responsible for sourcing, evaluating, executing and integrating the company’s strategic acquisitions and investments. As a founding member of the team you will be a key part of defining the strategy and culture of the team, and developing, implementing and scaling the decision making frameworks that will determine whether we build, buy, invest or partner on opportunities and the processes for execution.
This 12 month FTC offers an incredible opportunity to help source and execute acquisitions and investments of all sizes and on a global basis for Xero from origination to completion. The Associate will help identify, meet and evaluate opportunities, conduct due diligence and analysis, prepare internal approval presentations and support deal negotiations. It is a hugely impactful role with high visibility and interaction with senior leaders within Xero, with strong progression and growth opportunities
What you’ll do
- Assist in the development and implementation of decision-making frameworks for the evaluation of acquisitions, strategic partnerships and investment opportunities
- Conduct industry, competitor and financial analysis for new acquisition or investment opportunities
- Identify and screen investment opportunities
- Preparation of business / investment cases supporting recommendations to senior management and the Board
- Combine rigorous valuation analysis with appropriate deal structuring to support the evaluation and recommendation of transaction opportunities
- Conduct financial modeling
- Support and take ownership of elements of the due diligence process
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion
- Prepare and deliver high quality presentations and reports to Corp Dev team, senior management and the Board
- Represent Xero on a global stage
- 3+ years of relevant work experience at a top-tier investment bank or boutique, leading consulting firm, big 4 lead-advisory or TS team, corporate development team, private equity or venture capital firm
- Exposure to deals in the technology industry (specifically SaaS) preferred but not essential
- Strong financial modelling, valuation and analytical skills
- Experience developing presentations, board papers and other bespoke analytics to support investment and strategic decision-making
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work & build rapport, credibility & trust with internal stakeholders quickly
- Experience working on a number projects end-to-end simultaneously
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.