Legal Counsel M&A
Business Services – Legal
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact...
An exciting opportunity exists within Xero’s legal function to play a key role supporting the GM, Legal M&A with all legal aspects of Xero’s M&A transactions and strategic investments globally. You will work closely with in-region counsel and key business teams (such as Corporate Development, the Integration Management Office and Strategy) to support due diligence and negotiations, and drive a seamless transaction process.
This role will also have global exposure where you will work closely within the global Legal team, and with external advisors and strategic partners, to support Xero’s M&A global initiatives and strategic investments.
We are amazingly flexible so you could be based in New Zealand or Australia, talent matters, location doesn’t!
What you'll do
- Work with business teams to identify and explore potential targets.
- Provide legal support and leadership on a variety of M&A transactions and strategic investments, including conducting and overseeing due diligence, working with the GM, Legal - M&A, in-region counsel and external counsel to negotiate and execute deals, and coordinating internal approvals.
- Drive efficiencies and alignment through the implementation of streamlined deal processes.
- Take ownership over transactions and transaction teams and drive cross-functional engagement.
- Keep abreast of market developments and changes in law impacting the transactions space and ensure that the business is informed and compliant with any relevant existing or proposed legislation that may impact its M&A initiatives.
- Support with post-execution integration activity.
- Undertake periodic training of internal transaction teams.
- Contribute to internal policy and process development.
What you’ll bring…
The successful candidate will hold a Law degree, a current practising certificate and possess 4-8 PQE (post qualification experience) covering M&A and strategic Investments. Experience providing transactional advice to companies within the technical sector preferable but not mandatory. Experience with international transactions would be an added advantage.
At Xero we work in a fast paced matrix environment so critical to your success will be your ability to work autonomously with a high level of attention to detail, a proactive and creative approach to problem solving and the ability to convey complex legal matters into digestible plain english. Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong drafting, analytical and interpretation skills is a must.
We champion innovation, foster inclusion and celebrate success. We also live and breathe our values everyday. As #Human is one of Xero's values, please outline in your application what makes you #human at work, and how do you think a legal function can be more #human?
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.