Principal Data Scientist
Technology – Data - Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Small business makes the world go around – it’s the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
How you’ll make an impact
Xero views the application of intelligent, data-driven products and services at scale as a key competitive advantage for our business, now and into the future.
As a Principal Data Scientist you will be part of the Data Applications leadership team, working with the Head of Science, Evaluation & Measurement and responsible for leading the capability build for two important areas of Xero’s approach to deriving value from ML/AI at scale, in alignment with Xero’s overall strategy and business objectives.
The robust and reproducible application of the scientific method to turning specific business problems into explicit hypotheses that can be addressed and tested with the application of data and machine learning.
The consistent and automated measurement and evaluation at scale of a wide variety of machine learning based products and services.
You will also work closely with your colleagues in Product, Strategy, Finance, Marketing, Sales and Go to Market to identify tough problems that can be solved with the application of scientific thinking, algorithms and analytical data processing.
Then as part of a cross-functional team including engineers, designers and product owners you will build and operate beautiful, intelligent products and services that delight our users everyday.
You’ll mentor and coach individuals and teams and shape the growing data science competency across Xero including leading the design of our processes and approaches to ML build and measurement.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with the Head of Science, Evaluation & Measurement and your peers within the Data team to develop the ML / AI roadmap at Xero
- Lead the development of specialist capabilities e.g. comprehensive ML/AI measurement and evaluation framework, machine teaching capability which manages and develops labelled data assets
- Champion and coordinate a cross-Xero approach to developing key analytical data assets / flows e.g. a comprehensive and consistent approach to product instrumentation, a comprehensive and consistent approach to complex event capture
- Be accountable for the ongoing operational success of the products and services you create and you are responsible for
- Articulate and design our best practice approaches to developing modern data-driven products, including approaches to design and ways of working.
- Contribute to the organizational design of the Data team including the capability matrix and the talent development plan
- Form and lead cross-functional project teams to conceive, design, build and operate web-scale, data driven solutions to internal and customer facing Xero business challenges.
- Seek out and quantify cross-cutting problems that hinder development teams' ability to deliver ML solutions within Xero
- Mentor and develop members of your team and the wider Xero data science and machine learning community, increasing our capability to answer questions about our business with data and to build and operate intelligent, data-driven, products and services in our core customer offering.
- Act as an educator and evangelist globally across the Xero business helping to raise the data and AI literacy of the Xero workforce with a particular focus on those in product and engineering roles.
- Stay current with emerging practices, techniques and frameworks in the fields of machine learning and artificial intelligence and curate the research that is most relevant and applicable to our business problems.
- Champion the ethical application of data science and machine learning and ensure your teams are always working with the best interests of our users in mind.
- Continually build Xero’s understanding of the data we hold and the opportunities it creates. Feedback issues with data quality and data gaps to our Product build teams and work with them to improve the instrumentation and data coverage of our core products and services.
- Represent Xero externally by speaking at Meetups and on panels to raise awareness of the work we do and the career opportunities we offerCultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture that lives and breathes our Xero values
Success looks like
- We are delivering intelligent products and services to market and improving the user experience across our product portfolio
- Xero is utilizing an appropriate range of machine learning techniques - simple where it works, complex where it is required.
- Your teams are continually learning and growing and view Xero as a fantastic place to develop their careers for the long term
- Xeros in engineering and product management roles are increasingly confident in their ability to identify and evaluate problems that can be solved by the application of analytical data processing and machine learning and are actively considering product ideas that capitalize on our growing capability to execute ML projects quickly and sustainably.
- Our analytical data stores and processing pipelines have entered into a virtuous cycle with teams across the business committed to improving the quality of the data flowing through our systems
- Xero is becoming a destination of choice for data science practitioners in our hubs around the world
- Demonstrable experience in business hypothesis formation and the ability to lead a team from business problem to productionised solution
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral and the ability to translate between business and technical audiences
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to articulate and advocate the technical vision and direction for highly complex programs of work within the Data Applications team
- The ability to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity and creativity to changing needs and situations within the business
- Can successfully build trust and credibility with stakeholders and working relationships across all levels of the business
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute meaningful and accurate advice
What you bring to the table
- Extensive experience building & leading teams and productionized machine learning solutions across a wide range of industries.
- Experience mentoring, leading and developing high performing teams
- Expert level hands on practitioner skills in a good selection of the following areas and the appetite to learn those which are unfamiliar:
- data profiling, visualization, data management, time series forecasting, natural language processing, classical machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval
- Comfortable at the ‘nix command line and an experienced programmer in Python/Scala/Java or similar
- Solid grasp of statistics
- Extensive experience in experimental design and the evaluation of machine learning based products in production
At Xero, we empower our staff to bring their ‘whole self’ to work and support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package which includes shares and life insurance plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. In Canada, our Xero family includes Hubdoc, a data capture platform and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.
Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.