Design Research Director
Product – Design
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We're looking for a Design Research Director to join our team!
About the team
Our Product Design team is a diverse group of 60-plus people working across Xero’s products in multiple locations in New Zealand, Australia, the USA and Canada. The design team is a vital part of Xero’s success and our product makes a meaningful difference in the lives and businesses of more than 1.5 million people around the world.
What is a Design Research Director at Xero?
The Design Research Director is responsible for their team of design researchers who uncover insights that help craft experiences for our customers across multiple product interfaces.
You’ll help scale the impact of design research throughout the organization by both influence and direct responsibility. This means you will be a senior partner working with GM of Design Research, EGMs and C-suite executives as well as internal cross-disciplinary teams. Working closely with the GM of Design Research and the wider research leadership team, you’ll drive practices and initiatives together that benefit the product design team, product organisation and business globally.
This role will help shape the evolution of Xero’s design research processes, the integration of research with product development and business strategy, along with Xero’s ongoing innovation.
Day to day this involves..
- We’re a collaborative bunch so you’ll work closely with senior stakeholders including GMs, EGMs and C-suite, not just within the design space but also internal cross-disciplinary teams
- We want to be the best! This means you’ll be part of the Research leadership team to build and execute a unifying customer-centric strategy
- You’ll partner with the voice of the customer team and key senior leaders across the organisation to shape how we conduct and organise our research and make the findings and insights easily accessible to all Xero employees.
- We are all about that amazing team culture, which means you’ll be a key part of building a culture that focuses on doing our best work, experimenting, collaborating and delivering real value by partnering with our product teams.
- Speaking of growth...we’re ever growing -This means you’ll also be heavily involved in recruiting our future Xeros!
What you’ll bring...
- Significant experience leading UX and/or research teams with a proven track record of hiring diverse teams, developing talent, and leading with positivity and inspiration.
- Deep and broad experience with design research across methods, industry, and products.
- Xero is ever changing so you'll need to be comfortable navigating ambiguity!
- You know how to influence and speak the language of business and UX research simultaneously and to mixed audiences
- A genuine eagerness to collaborate and create long-lasting trusted partnerships
At Xero, we are rewiring the small business economy and want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice, and connections.
We see the value in work-life balance, many of us take full advantage of our flexible working arrangements, so whether you like to get a surf in before work, like to head home in time to pick up the kids or you just like working from the comfort of your own home now and then, we want to support you.
We trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your hunger to learn with training and career mentorship, to help you flourish. Our facilities and PX teams work hard to give us great workspaces with all the tech company perks so join us and experience our awesome culture!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.