Toronto, CA /
Product – Development /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Team
You will be joining our Invoicing team. The invoicing team is a core Xero product team with the goal of digitizing invoices for all our clients. This is a newly formed team for a core Xero product which is getting a lot of spotlights. There have been major developments in the digital invoicing world across the globe, especially AUS, NZ, and the UK, thus our team is in a unique position to build a global product. Our team goal is to save the customer time and Improve their Business Cashflow. Digital invoicing plays a big role in that. Our team is fairly agile. We aim to be cross-functional, with a focus on test-driven development.
About the role
- Software Development
- Develop robust, high-quality software meeting the agreed specifications and complying with Xero’s development team standards and procedures.
- Utilize a variety of technologies including AWS, C#, React, .NET, Docker, RDBMS, RESTful web services.
- Assist Analysts and Designers with the design, prototyping, and preparation of software-specifications and interaction design for product features.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance team members to resolve issues raised by testing throughout the development cycle.
- Maintain current knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships both within the development team and the wider organization.
- Share your technical expertise with others, including training
About the role
- Culture and people
- Support your reports to continually improve and grow at Xero
- Your reports are self-aware of their competencies - They actively seek feedback to improve their performance, take ownership of their personal development and learning activities
- Encourage opportunities for personal development and learning activities by coaching your reports through their feedback and connecting them with relevant mentors in the organization
- Effectively manage and support your reports to drive performance, culture and an inspiring environment
- Conduct people-management related tasks such as leave and expense approval, training budget, performance, and salary reviews, etc All aspects of people management to engage, retain and develop staff (i.e. recruitment, performance feedback, staff training, and career development, leave approval)
- Work closely with the development team leadership to actively identify areas for improvement and help implement ideas
- Work with your reports to get them to actively provide constructive feedback and create an open communication culture
- Culture and people
- Your reports are effectively managed and supported. Their performance is reviewed regularly and feedback is continually provided in a timely manner.
- Your reports are empowered and challenged to do their best work and their skills are continuously being developed through new learnings and experiences.
- Leave, expenses, and relevant processes are completed in a timely mannerKeeping informed of responsibilities and obligations, including changes to process and procedures
- Actively participate in wider Development team activities and communicate key team updates.
- Our systems meet our Service Level Objectives as define in out OKRs
- Timely responses and bug fixes to issues identified during development testing and in production support
Software delivery and results
What you'll bring with you
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of engineering management experience leading full-stack teams
- 5+ years of extensive experience in the development and/or testing of web-based applications.
- Knowledge of automated or functional testing
- Passion for helping people fulfill their potential
- Open communication style
- Builds effective relationships
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Can self-manage and set priorities
- Seek constant improvement for yourselfCan manage sensitive people matters with discretion and professionalism
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc, an automated data capture platform and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.