People Lead (Engineering Practice)
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Engineering & Architecture /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We have two amazing People Lead opportunities within our Engineering Practice group, based in Wellington.
The Engineering Practice Support team works across the business to lead efforts to improve engineering practices and culture, and to help Xero to reach its audacious goals of being a world-class engineering powerhouse and opening up our product to global markets.
As a People Lead, you’ll be leading Engineers across the teams that make up Engineering Practice Support. You will be responsible for supporting your direct reports in becoming awesome Xeros — empowering them to deliver high quality software, hone their engineering skills, and achieve their personal and professional goals.
You will work closely alongside other people leaders within Engineering Practice, as well as thePlatform and Product engineering groups, to foster the growth of a world-class, sustainably excellent software engineering culture at Xero.
What you'll do:
- Champion principles and practices that make it possible for engineers to get great work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn.
- Retain, hire, and attract high-performing individuals, building on and complementing the
- diversity in the team.
- Work proactively with your manager on your professional and career development, highlighting development needs, setting goals, and following through with agreed actions.
- Encourage the personal, professional, and career development of the developers under your care. Work with them to identify opportunities where they can grow, and organise training as needed.
- Support your developers to become the most high performing version of themselves they can be, using a variety of techniques which may include performance feedback, career development, coaching and mentoring.
- Role-model exemplary leadership, supporting and growing the next generation of leaders at Xero.
- Assist in the development of a world-class engineering culture where developers have the skills and autonomy needed to build high-quality products and services with confidence.
- Participate in presenting Xero practices externally to help promote the Xero development brand.
What you’ll bring with you:
- Experience managing and growing engineering and/or other teams.
- Awareness of modern product and engineering principles and practices.
- Proven ability to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the business.
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive, and proactive way.
- Passion for helping people fulfill their potential.
- An open and effective communication style.
- Experience building trust and effective relationships with direct reports, as well as stakeholders across all levels of the business.
- Growth mindset.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.