Product – Development
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the Team
The UK Payroll team is responsible for building, maintaining and operating payroll features which will define the Xero Payroll experience for UK.
Day to day the team is involved in a wide variety of tasks, from investigating reported issues, maintaining existing services, and building new functionality. There is rarely a dull moment.
Working closely with the team leads, product owners and other stakeholders, you will be keeping the team focused and aligned, ensuring we are building features that provide the best experience for our customers.
We are a well established team, always looking at ways to grow and develop, so in joining the team it will give you a chance to influence not only how we work but also set the standard for what good services should look like.
About the role
- As Engineering Manager the focus of your role will be to provide both team and technical leadership. You will work within the Payroll team and you’ll build great software development teams by:
- Utilizing your leadership experience to assist high performing and engaged teams, while also promoting a safe environment for people to experiment, learn and grow during this exciting time.
- Ensuring there is a clear shared vision for engineering within the Payroll team, and a roadmap on how to get there. This aligns with Xero’s global engineering vision and engineers believe in this vision and know how they contribute to reaching this goal.
- Leveraging off your engineering experience to mentor teams to build quality software
- Work closely with the cross -functional team to cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture that will live and breathe our Xero values
- Working closely with other leaders in the teams to deliver quality software and services that support the product vision and technical roadmap across the wider business.
- Owning processes and practices that enable the team to successfully develop, support and maintain our solutions
- Attracting, recruiting and retaining capable individuals, building on and complementing the diversity of our teams;
- Championing and driving processes and practices that makes it possible for engineers to get great work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn;
- Role-modelling exemplary leadership, supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders at Xero.
- For you to be successful as Xero’s next Engineering Manager you'll ideally have some experience in:
- Leading engaged and high performing software development teams while working on software delivery projects at scale.
- Utilizing your passion for modern software development practices and keenness to use Agile methodologies to ensure your teams are operating in the most effective and efficient way through the utilization of resource, information and communication.
- Balancing, communicating and prioritization the needs of individuals, your teams and the business as a whole.
- Coaching and Mentoring varied cross functional teams with the focus of learning and ownership within your team while being able to offer the right knowledge, at the right time, in the right way.
- Demonstrating leadership through the provision of objectives and goals with loose guidelines and directions through clear communication of expectations. And having an open mind regarding flexibility and new ideas.
- Keeping your team’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making and actions. While making this a priority to the wider team and their day-to-day behaviors and activities.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.