Technology – Engineering & Architecture
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are looking for a Wellington based Solution Architect to join our Engineering and Architecture group. This team provides guidance, support and technical thought leadership to the product and platform teams so they can build well-designed, highly-performance solutions that provide customer value and that can scale with our customer growth.
What will you be doing?
The Solution Architect role is responsible for the framing of the medium to long-term, high-level technical design for cross-cutting initiatives and programmes of work at Xero. In this role, you will work closely with Project Workstream Leads and Product Managers to ensure there is a technical direction in place to support the product roadmaps and strategy of your assigned initiative or programme of work.
As a Solution Architect at Xero, you will help define and communicate solution architectures and requirements in a way that provides clear technical direction to other architects, engineers and engineering managers, enabling them to work with their teams to deliver solutions to customers.
Through technical guidance, you will ensure there is a clear understanding of any common capabilities needed for successful delivery of programmes and initiatives, with a lens to improve Xero’s ability to remain responsive to our customers by encouraging world-class software and service delivery.
The Solution Architect role operates as part of the wider Architecture team, which collectively aim to provide the overall technical vision and strategy to meet Xero’s technical and non-functional goals.
What does success looks like?
- An Architectural vision is in place for the product and any requirements or capabilities needed to achieve the vision have been documented.
- Clear decisions around technical direction of the product domain have been made, documented and clearly communicated to the wider architecture and engineering management group.
- Stakeholders are able to contribute towards decisions while decisions are still made in a timely manner.
- The Architecture group is seen to have a high success rate in hiring high impact technical candidates.
What you’ll bring with you
- Demonstrated ability to envision large-scale web-based services that meet consumer customer/stakeholders needs or solve business problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a variety of individuals at different levels.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Emotional empathy and an ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experience in developing web-based software applications.
- Familiar with multiple software development methodologies and styles.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
- Knowledge of web standards and API-first design.
- Experience in data/information architecture, data modeling and database design.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Humbleness and a growth mindset necessary to foster a continuous improvement culture, including the ability to improve yourself.
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
- Experience in creating, visualising and documenting business architectures as well as modelling business processes.
Nice to have, but not essential
- Experience or interest in infrastructure design, administration and automation.
- Knowledge of distributed systems.
- Public speaking skills and experience.
- Contribution to one or more open source projects.
Joining Xero means making a difference to the lives of many people, and working for a company with big goals. As part of our awesome package, you’ll get a competitive salary, Xero shares, Life Insurance, great colleagues and an environment that challenges you to follow your passions, develop your skills and be the best you can be.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.