Project Management Lead
Technology – Enterprise Technology & Internal IT
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are looking for a Project Management Lead to join our successful Technology project team! Based in Wellington, you will be managing a team of Project Managers and Project Co-ordinators to help drive a culture of professional development, performance and open communication.
At Xero, we’re here to make running a business beautiful. By making small business more efficient every day, connecting them with big business technology and empowering a community behind them, their potential is limitless. When that happens, we’re not only helping small business, we’ll be building a stronger economy that can change the world.
You will be responsible for supporting your direct reports in becoming awesome Xeros and empowering them to deliver high-quality initiatives to our internal customers. Under your guidance, the team will hone their project management and coordination skills, and foster the growth of a world-class, modern technology project team. You’ll also work alongside other People Leads and Senior Leaders within the Technology group to improve operational processes, drive cross-functional projects and initiatives.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure Technology’s strategic projects are reported appropriately to the Technology and Xero Leadership Teams and the Board.
- Develop project management resources to support great project delivery for the Technology and wider teams across Xero.
- Champion and drive processes and practices that make it possible for project teams to do great work, while promoting a safe environment for people to grow, experiment and learn.
- Role-model exemplary leadership, supporting and growing the next generation of Project Managers and Project Co-ordinators at Xero.
- Attracting, recruiting and retaining capable individuals, building on and complementing the diversity of our team.
- Develop a career-path and learning framework for your projects team, and project professionals at Xero.
- Help drive a culture where team members have the knowledge, skills and desire to achieve outstanding project outcomes and excellent flexible project management practices.
- Cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture.
Success looks like:
- Technology projects are consistently delivered well, meeting and exceeding stakeholder expectations. There is a high correlation between project success and one of the Technology project team’s involvement.
- Our project management practices are applied flexibly, enabling the best outcomes for the teams we work with.
- Your direct reports are effectively managed and supported. Their performance is reviewed regularly and feedback is continually provided in a timely manner.
- Your direct reports are empowered and challenged to do their best work. The right people are solving the right problems and their skills are continuously being developed through new learning and experimentation.
- There is opportunity for your direct reports to grow at Xero: They should be helped to understand their personal career path and be encouraged to excel towards it. They are motivated and engaged: Staff morale and staff retention is high.
- Your project management and operational practices strategic objectives are achieved in line with Xero’s key strategic objectives
- Great customer feedback, and increased requests for project delivery support across teams.
What you’ll bring with you:
- Experience in managing and leading teams in a fast-paced, modern business.
- Proven ability to deliver on commitments and balance priorities.
- Proven experience improving business processes across complex teams and organisations.
- Proven experience managing complex projects, applying different approaches (agile, waterfall etc).
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Excellent understanding of financial and business operations processes.
- Proven ability to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the business.
- Experience managing and growing teams.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, ability to build rapport, trust and buy-in quickly.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be a key player in an organization making a real difference to small businesses. We champion innovation, foster inclusion and celebrate success.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.