Intermediate Software Engineer
Denver, US /
Product – Product - General /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
Xero’s accounting and bookkeeping partners are a hugely important part of our business. At the heart of each accounting practice is the systems that support and drive, making the practice’s clients successful through efficient and effective tax and financial compliance.
As a Software Engineer, you will work on a team based in Denver that creates value for our partners by building and enhancing the tools that make the magic happen. You will build our Workpapers product, developing new or improved features. You will also work closely with our Infrastructure Team to support your team with operational requirements, such as infrastructure, builds, and deployments.
What you’ll do
- Engage with the Product Owner to interpret user stories & breakdown into tasks
- Deliver demonstrable code every sprint with a tight focus on end delivery
- Write test automation & deployment scripts for continuous delivery from coding to production
- Work with your team and architects to design new components and systems
- Collaborate with other product teams across time zones as necessary
- Contribute to DevOps tasks
- Contribute infrastructure expertise to the product development process.
- Design and implement infrastructure solutions during product development
- Mentor product team members about infrastructure and raise awareness of infrastructure and operational concerns as a key consideration of product development
Success looks like
- Contribute to the initial specifications, user stories and design of new or improved features, working with Analysts, Designers and Product Owners
- Delivering quality code into production with a relentless focus on increasing productivity
- New components and systems are not over-designed yet reasonably future proof
- Constant learning demonstrated in increased productivity and thought leadership
- Increased knowledge and reduced blockers in your team related to DevOps tasks
What you’ll bring with you: Critical Competencies
- Write performant, scalable, resilient code
- Ability to work as part of a cross-functional team and able to take pride and ownership in their work
- Has initiative and a passion for going the extra mile
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and networking skills
- Constant learning mindset
What you’ll bring with you: Experience
- 3+ years of experience in developing web-based applications
- Continuous deployment tools such as TeamCity and Octopus
- Experience with Test-driven or Spec-driven testing and QA practices
- Experience using AWS Toolchain is a plus
- Windows Server experience is a plus
Xero is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares.
Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.