Product Design Director - Wellington
Wellington, NZ /
Product – Design /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Xero design function
We’re a team of 85+ designers, researchers and design leaders, working across Xero’s products in New Zealand, Australia, the UK, Canada and the USA.
So where do you come in?
The Product Design Director is responsible for the design direction of Xero products, as well as the operational excellence of your team. You will lead a group of passionate product designers that craft experiences for our 2 million+ customers across multiple product interfaces.
A key part of what you'll so is mentoring our design team, providing feedback and coordinating designs that create a holistic user experience is key. The goal is not consistency, the goal is an experience people love. Leading by example, contributing design solutions and deliverables, you will serve as the partner working with GMs of key product areas and the EGM of the portfolio you support to ensure quality of relationship and work product.
- Leadership: Work with GM Design and other Product Design Directors in your portfolio to help manage your product design team, programs and processes that support a world-class design team. Solve problems together and work as a team to influence and drive key strategic initiatives forward.
- Product thinking: Define the UX strategy and contribute to the product strategy for your product area, in partnership with the product leadership team. Help define the why and how behind the product for your team. Guide the visual and interaction design quality and get teams working in a way that makes great products.
- Stakeholder management: Influence, have difficult conversations, and help prioritise and focus the team on the most impactful work. Work closely with our Marketing, Product Management and Engineering teams to deliver stunning and effective product interfaces and processes. In partnership with product leaders, contribute to, evangelise and enable design-led processes for creating product vision and roadmap.
You're ideal for this role if...
- You're a highly experienced people manager and have experience building teams
- You have experience in leading multidisciplinary design teams in an in house product environment
- Naturally, you'll have a a strong background in product design
- We're a diverse bunch so you'll need to be a natural influencer.
- You are all about the people - you enjoy developing talent and leading with positivity and inspiration
- You can speak the language of business and design simultaneously and to mixed audiences
- Xero is ever changing so you need to be comfortable navigating ambiguity
But why work at Xero?
At Xero, we are rewiring the small business economy and want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice, and connections.
We see the value in work-life balance, many of us take full advantage of our flexible working arrangements, so whether you like to get a surf in before work, like to head home in time to pick up the kids or you just like working from the comfort of your own home now and then, we want to support you.
We trust you to build your career to the best of your ability and we will support your hunger to learn with training and career mentorship, to help you flourish. Our facilities and PX teams work hard to give us great workspaces with all the tech company perks so join us and experience our awesome culture!
What are you waiting for, apply now with your CV and portfolio! All applicants must submit a portfolio in order to be considered
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.