Software Engineer - Data Reliability
Wellington, NZ /
Technology – Reliability /
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Xero’s operational team is transforming the way it works to become more agile and efficient. We are looking to grow and develop our Reliability team to tackle the unique challenges that come with supporting the growing Xero application at scale.
About the role:
As Xero’s next Software Engineer within Data Reliability, you are systematic, detail oriented and passionate about secure and resilient systems. You will work with development teams to promote good database practices and champion database reliability across Product teams. You will make an impact in your role by finding ways to automate tasks while building a culture focused on continually improving the operation of Xero’s data persistence technology.
Some of the skills we are looking for:
- Software engineering and application development skills (C# and SQL primarily)
- Experience with relational databases at scale
- Experience with distributed systems
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL
- Experience with cloud database hosting services (such as AWS or Azure)
- Some experience with Powershell would be a plus!
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with managing production databases
What you'll be responsible for:
- Using your software engineering skills to develop and support tooling for data reliability.
- Championing best practices for data and database access.
- Collaborating with a wide variety of product teams to help them build reliable and scalable solutions.
- Building scalable alerting and self healing systems.
- Helping develop the tools and techniques used by the team for deployment, monitoring, testing and security.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.