Senior Security Engineer
Technology – Security
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are looking for a Senior Security Engineers to join our team based in Wellington!
The primary role of the Security Engineer is to work as a member of the Security Engineering team to ensure platform security systems are deployed, maintained and innovated in line with industry best practice and to best support the requirements of the Xero environment.
What you'll do:
- Work alongside the Security Engineering team to ensure security systems are deployed in a secure, best practice and well documented manner
- Work with 3rd party vendors to ensure that systems security lifecycle is maintained
- Develop an understanding of vendor roadmaps and release schedules
- Evaluate and implement new security technology, controls and solutions
- Ensure that security systems are deployed in line with industry best practices
- Ensure the security solution are operated effectively meeting agreed Service Level Objectives
- Execution of assigned IT security projects
- Develop and maintain platform security system documentation
- Work with the security engineering and site reliability teams to ensure that any escalated incidents and problems are resolved in a timely and comprehensive manner
- Proactively anticipate security platform operational issues and develop preventative measures
- Work with the Security Engineering and Architecture teams as well as the wider security portfolio to ensure that good security practice exists and is promoted within the organisation
- Ability to provide 24x7 oncall support as required
- Maintain awareness of the changing security landscape within Xero
What you’ll bring with you:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with a variety of individuals at different levels
- Ability to juggle many tasks and projects in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- A drive to take ownership of problems and solve them
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Hands on operational IT security platform administration experience (Firewall, IPS/IDS, Configuration Management, Vulnerability Assessment, SIEM etc)
- Hands on experience with IT security (threat modeling, penetration testing, incident response, network security, physical security, etc.)
- Programming language knowledge (C#, Python, GoLang, Ruby, etc.)
- Hands on experience public cloud environments such as AWS
- System administration knowledge, especially Linux/UNIX (2+ years experience)
- Understanding of web services, distributed systems, and web application development
- Troubleshooting skills
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
If this sounds like a team and company you’d like to be a part of, apply today!
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please include a cover letter in your application, telling us why you’re a great fit for this position.