Senior Legal Counsel - Singapore
Legal and compliance
We're looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to join us in Singapore. In this role, you will report to the Head of Legal (Singapore) and work within the Legal & Compliance team to support Xfers' activities in regulation, licensing, compliance and structuring, negotiating, and closing contracts.
You'll have a high level of autonomy and independence, and we'll empower you to take ownership of your tasks. You'll collaborate with cross-functional teams and think of creative solutions in uncharted waters.
You'll also need a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Understanding the real risks to the business and providing practical advice to product and banking teams. Supporting product and banking teams on changes to our customer agreement for new services or new market entry.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations - including upcoming Payment Services Act for online payments, funds transfers, remittance, Securities & Futures Act, Personal Data Protection Act, employment, and more
- Legal research for entry into foreign markets and licensing requirements
- Formulating action plans and recommendations based on the research
- Reviewing and updating internal policies and procedures
- Reviewing marketing and sales materials to ensure compliance with regulations and policies
- Applying for the necessary licences under Payment Services Act & possibly the Securities & Futures Act
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, draft and provide advice on complex legal transactions such as strategic partnerships and acquisitions
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise on a variety of transactions such as standard Terms of Services for our users, internet-related agreements and policies including Merchant Agreements, IT and business process outsourcing agreements, including payment systems, data privacy, inbound/outbound technology and data licensing agreements, software development agreements and SOWs, and services and consulting agreements.
- Respond promptly and effectively to legal requests & regulatory advice from sales, corporate development, operations, marketing, finance and other internal clients, and advise on recommended courses of action.
- Ability to supervise outside counsel on substantial and diverse matters; the ability to work effectively and cooperatively with teams from many disciplines.
- Training non-legal staff for compliance with regulations and internal policies
- Practical and solutions-oriented approach towards legal requirements, risks mitigation and operational compliance
- Have a get-it-done, collaborative approach to problem solving and an ability to seek creative, innovative solutions for complex matters
- Understand how start-ups work - how to balance between maturity in corporate governance and operations, and the practical considerations of fast growth and scaling
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience in law firms (corporate) and/or in-house counsel, preferably in fintech/payments/banking/finance industry.
- Thorough understanding of legal principles in applicable to many areas of practice, including regulatory requirements, licensing, commercial contracts, business transactions, company corporate laws.
- Comprehensive understanding in law & regulatory compliance matters, particularly in the prevailing laws and regulations (from MAS) relevant to non-bank financial institutions.
- Excellent legal drafting skills.
- Highly organized and detailed-oriented.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Word (use of Styles, multi-numbered lists, paragraph spacings, etc) & in Google Docs & Slides
- Have professionalism and high integrity