Principal Software Engineer - Platform Data Architecture
Software – Software Engineering
Xometry is a rapidly growing startup that is transforming American manufacturing. Our proprietary instant quoting technology and nationwide network of manufacturers provides a streamlined on-demand manufacturing experience that is unparalleled in the market. Custom manufacturing is a $50 billion industry in the United States, and it is our mission to provide advanced manufacturing capabilities to customers of all sizes - from Fortune 500 companies and government agencies to small businesses and startups.
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer – Platform Data Architecture. As the Principal Software Engineer, you will support our rapidly growing company by:
- In collaboration with the entire technology organization lead the effort to define the architecture guiding principles and standards that will steer technology decisions and implementation for the Xometry Principal Software Engineer platform.
- Continually analyze the platform technical environment and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Continually analyze industry trends and keep current with the latest trends.
- Ensure compliance with the architectural guiding principles and established standards.
- Lead our platform data governance initiatives and domain driven data architecture evolution.
- Evangelize data platform, standards, patterns and best practices across the business.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation, negotiation, and people leadership.
The ideal candidate for this job has:
- This is a hands-on position. Ideally you will demonstrate the patterns and approaches directly to the technology organization and mentor & coach until the approach is fully adopted and understood.
- This is not a DBA role although having the ability to admin data tools is essential.
- Exposure to multiple and diverse technologies, platforms, and environment. You are equally comfortable working with Data Science, BI, and Analytics people as you are with Web Application and DevOps people. You understand that data comes from everywhere in the platform therefore you need to engage everywhere.
- You should have experience working as part of a Web Application development team and understand and can advise deeply data persistence and data practices related to how modern web applications work.
- Working Knowledge of:
- Data pipelines and dealing with high volume systems and designing solutions for reliability and performance at scale.
- ETL/ELT and batch.
- Analytics, data visualization tools.
- Data analysis and forensics.
- AWS and/or Google cloud data engineering and data science capabilities.
- Streaming architectures including cost analysis, performance tuning, and quality of service concerns.
- Cloud application development, architecture design, modernization, implementation, and deployment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to describe complex technical subjects, develop technical documentation and presentations.
- Strong bias for lean and collaborative enterprise architecture process.
- Must be ITAR compliant.
You have knowledge and experience working with one or more of the following:
- Redshift, BigQuery, SnowFlake, RDS, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, EC2, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Kinesis, Apache Kafka / Hadoop / Spark / Hive, MapReduce, SageMaker
- Analytics - Tableau, Looker, Periscope, QuickSight, other reporting frameworks and tools
- ETL / ELT – Matillion, HEVO, Skyvia, Talend, AWS Glue & Data Pipeline
Xometry offers its employees:
- Health, Dental & Vision coverage
- Commuter & Dependent Care benefit options
- Paid time off
- Primary and Secondary Parental Leave
- Stock Options
This isn’t the job for you? Maybe you have a friend who would be perfect for it - please share this job with them!
Xometry is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Xometry participates in E-Verify and after a job offer is accepted, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.