First Product Designer at Y Combinator
Y Combinator’s mission is to maximize innovation in the world. We do this by funding startups and helping them succeed. While we’re known for our 3-month core program, we’ve recently expanded our efforts with Startup School, Work at a Startup, and Bookface. All of which are supported by public-facing software.
These programs are all doing very well but we want to be even better. So while we’re surprisingly still a very small, scrappy team, we’ve decided it’s time to bring on our first full-time product designer -- someone who will lead the design for all of YC’s websites and web applications.
Is this you?
If product design, startups, and technology are all your passions, you might be. In particular, we’re looking for a product designer that’s self-motivated, scrappy and comfortable working both independently and alongside our product management and engineering teams.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and own the entire product design process - from research and conceptual design to visual design, UI and UX.
- Establish a style guide and design (possible re-design) YC’s websites and products to bring cohesion and consistency to the visual aspects of YC’s brand.
- Work well with a team of product managers (mostly YC partners) and engineers.
An ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years experience shipping products for mobile and desktop web in product design roles.
- Experience across the design spectrum: branding, visual design, UI, and UX.
- Experience working with product management and engineering teams.
- A portfolio that demonstrates examples of your product design work you’ve shipped.A strong sense for clear, simple, design.
- Ability to balance user feedback, data, and intuition, i.e. you believe in shipping the best idea, not just your idea.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, React and JS (optional).
- A love of startups and technology.
Location & Benefits
This position is based in downtown San Francisco. We can help you relocate, but for this role, we won’t be hiring people who want to work remotely. We’re proud to offer benefits few companies of our size can match. Offerings include top quality healthcare, 401k matching, generous parental leave, commuter benefits, catered lunch, and a flexible vacation policy. We also offer highly competitive compensation, including significant equity in YC's portfolio.