Junior Data Backend Engineer - Product Monetization Platform (Remote)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom /
Engineering and Product – Engineering /
At Yelp, we’re on a mission to grow the local economy by connecting users with great local businesses. The Product Monetization Platform team brings new product ideas to market. Via our APIs, developers can confidently know that the connections they create translate into real revenue for Yelp.
On our team, you’ll be responsible for helping produce critical financial data streams that serve as a source of truth for the rest of the company. By designing and implementing our data infrastructure, you’ll ensure that millions of complex interactions are processed efficiently every day and meet the high bar of our systems’ availability and performance. You’ll design data streams and APIs that empower engineers and decision-makers throughout the organization.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Design, build, and deploy systems and services supporting Yelp’s data infrastructure.
- Write code and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams and product managers to help define the technical roadmap.
- Participate in our on-call rotation and help ensure that our systems are consistently up and running.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Enthusiasm for working with and making sense of large volumes of data.
- An understanding of building large-scale distributed systems.
- Relevant experience in Python, Scala, Java, or a similar language.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following technologies: distributed databases (e.g., Cassandra), large-scale data processing (e.g., Spark), real-time data processing (e.g., Flink), RDBMS (e.g., MySQL), or data warehouses (e.g., Redshift).
- Basic knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Familiarity with cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- A craving for new knowledge and challenges.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £75 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- £56 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.