Remote - United States /
G&A – Marketing /
Yelp is looking for a Managing Editor for our burgeoning Content Marketing team. The ideal candidate thinks like a marketer and acts like a journalist. He/she/they also believes that the best B2B and B2C marketing is really all about H2H (human to human). Does this sound like you? Read on...
As the first editor on the Content Marketing team, you’ll work with freelance writers, agencies, and other contributors inside and outside of Yelp to develop content that generates more consumer and business owner traffic to Yelp. The goal is to make more meaningful and helpful connections with business owners and consumers in all categories—from restaurants and nightclubs to plumbers and landscapers.
This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing marketing organization, contribute to Yelp’s growth, and help local businesses succeed. This is a remote position and does not require a physical presence in Yelp’s San Francisco headquarters. We will consider candidates located anywhere in the United States.
Interested? Please submit a resume, portfolio, and brief cover letter that tells us why we’d be crazy not to hire you.
Where you come in:
- You will manage the production of and edit articles and posts to drive SEO traffic to the Yelp consumer site, the Yelp for Business site, and the business blog
- You will help manage the production of (and occasionally research and write) other types of content to inspire and build trust with the business owner audience, including: educational articles, guides, and customer stories
- You will collaborate with colleagues in marketing, PR, product, customer success, and sales as well as external entities—including customers, partners, freelancers, agencies, and vendors—to create and distribute content
- You will work with teams that request content to understand their goals for the project, identify a concept, and ultimately create content that will achieve those goals, appeal to the defined audience, and stay true to the Yelp brand
- You will help implement, manage, and maintain all the behind-the-scenes guides, systems, and processes that keep us running like a well-oiled machine: editorial calendars, content audits, style guides, analytics, etc.
- You will serve as an editor for content contributors around the organization and other members of the content team
- You will foster a culture of creative excellence; explain the thinking behind writing/editing decisions; and share best practices with other writers and non-writers
What it takes to succeed:
- You have 10 years of professional editing and writing experience, preferably a mix of journalism and marketing
- You have 6 years of experience in content marketing or a business editorial environment
- You have 5 years of experience managing internal and external writers and sourcing freelancers
- You have strong editing, proofreading, and storytelling skills
- You demonstrate the ability to manage the development of ideas into compelling content that drives organic traffic
- You have working knowledge of SEO best practices
- You have the ability to edit others’ writing to retain the unique elements that each author brings while still adhering to brand voice and tone
- You have excellent project management skills and experience working successfully with cross-functional teams (other marketers, communications, product, sales, and others)
- You have an enormous amount of empathy and humanity, with a deep understanding of how words make people feel
- You have a healthy respect for deadlines: the ability to prioritize progress over perfection and the drive to see projects through to completion
- You are excited about all aspects of content development: idea generation, research, writing, gathering input and buy in, editing, collaborating with designers, and the ultimate thrill: clicking “publish” and seeing your work in the wild
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or marketing is preferred
- Experience in B2B marketing required; experience with local small- and medium-sized business segment preferred
- Experience with Google Analytics, HTML, and/or WordPress (or a similar CMS) is a huge plus
What you'll get:
- Effective your first day: Full medical, vision, and dental (100% paid employee only coverage)
- 15 days PTO (increases with tenure) and 11 paid holidays
- Up to 14 weeks of parental leave
- Monthly wellness subsidy
- Flexible spending account
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We will consider for employment qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law (including, for example, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance for roles based in San Francisco).
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.