Engineering Manager - Semantic Business Info (Remote)
Dublin, Leinster, Ireland /
Engineering and Product – Engineering /
Ever wish you had information about a business right at your fingertips? Something about its health & safety, opening hours, services, or just a unique insight about that business? Interested in exploring that data, finding inventive ways to collect, curate, and make it easily accessible for others to use, and at scale? If taking millions of these data points and helping hundreds of millions of consumers connect with millions of businesses sounds exciting, come join us!
The Semantic Business Information (SBI) team at Yelp is looking for a leader to help manage this dynamic team. We’re a group focused on building the platform that contains information on the millions of businesses Yelp serves. We’re building new taxonomies to connect all this information, and new ways to ingest it via our APIs and scraping. We ensure that every team at Yelp has access to the highest quality information available, and are the backbone for the most important content that Yelp provides consumers.
This opportunity requires you to be located in Ireland.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Manage a team of engineers focused on building new systems to ingest, store, and serve critical business information.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from new college graduates to senior engineers.
- Participate in the hiring process, helping to find potential candidates, interview, and close new hires.
- Foster and grow a fun, diverse, and inclusive culture that reflects Yelp’s values.
- Team up with other engineering groups to build instant-access APIs and streaming solutions that make it easy for them to consume business data.
- Work closely with our infrastructure teams to ensure we use the right systems (storage, compute, networking) for our level of scale.
- Make build-or-buy decisions that help reach our business goals.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Previous experience as a manager with excellent people management skills and the ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- In-depth experience with building effective APIs (like REST or GraphQL).
- Command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, Objective-C, C++, etc.
- Knowledge of database design fundamentals — when to use SQL, NoSQL, normalization, caching, and sharding.
- Comfortable with performance analysis tools (e.g., tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools).
- Comfortable working and coordinating requirements across teams.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with eligibility for a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- You may also be offered a bonus, Restricted Stock Units, and benefits.
- A competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, wellbeing programs, wellness and remote work reimbursement and more.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- Quarterly team offsites.