Applied Science Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada /
Engineering and Product – Engineering /
We’re looking for innovative leaders to help grow the Applied Machine Learning (AML) team at Yelp and lead high impact use cases for machine learning, statistical modeling, and causal inference. You’ll work in lock step with our product team and other engineering teams to ensure intelligence and data products get out the door quickly, while also identifying promising longer-term investments. As a leader at Yelp, you’ll participate in our daily release cycles, enhance our people-focused and collaborative culture during times of immense growth, and show a true passion for the success of your team.
Yelp has hundreds of millions of pieces of user-contributed content, millions of users and business listings, and hundreds of thousands of advertising customers – and these are constantly growing. Making sense of all this data, deducing relationships between variables, and figuring out different interactions is challenging work, all of which lead to insights that are hugely impactful to Yelp’s business. AML realizes this value by actively working on both engineering practical machine learning systems at scale as well as pursuing exploratory forays into new signals, metrics, and research if the opportunity is right.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. We enable all new team members to get their hands dirty in working code in their initial weeks and let them grow from there with the support of their manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers and scientists, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
What You Will Do:
- Lead a team of applied scientists, machine learning engineers, and software engineers working on complex technical problem.
- Partner closely with other engineering and product teams to set roadmaps and ensure project alignment/execution.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from early career to senior engineers, while providing frequent and constructive feedback.
- Provide technical guidance in machine learning and inference projects and act as a sounding board, while rolling up your sleeves and coding alongside your team when needed.
- Identify new opportunities within Yelp’s product and business.
- Participate in the hiring process.
- Foster and grow a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects Yelp’s values.
We Are Looking For:
- Ideally you have previous experience as a manager or tech lead with excellent people management skills.
- Deep expertise in ML, statistics, or causal inference, and practical experience building out intelligent systems.
- The ability to balance near term product work with longer term research/infrastructure investments.
- A passion for crafting and fostering good engineering practices.
- Comfortable working with programming or analysis languages such as Python or R.
- Comfortable working in a Unix environment.
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.